Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik camera and filter wheel won't connect

rubecula

I'm probably doing something silly here but can't see what it is.

Started everything up after quite a lay-off.  Everything worked accept connecting to the mount via EQMod. Upgraded EQMod, but still didn't work.  It was set to use COM 4 so I changed to COM 5 and it worked.  But then the Atik 383L and EFW2 wouldn't connect.  I didn't think that COM ports and USB ports were connected.  Am I wrong? 

When I look at the Device Manager I have COM 3,4 & 5.  Under the USB devices only the camera shows up but still won't connect.

So I have upgraded the Atik software, and checked all cables but they still won't connect.  I have a single USB cable going from the laptop to a USB hub mounted on the scope. The hub seems to be working as the OAG camera is working.

This has cost me two lovely clear nights and I'm getting desperate.

Thanks

Sounds like a driver problem, do you get an acknowledging bong when  you plug them in ?

What version of Windows are you using ? some older versions used to get their USB ports muddled or simply run out  and need to clear them all and start again then keep everything plugged in the same socket.

You can check in their properties and it should report this device is working properly but that's only the Windows bit

Coms and USB are connected via FTDI or similar chipset.

Dave

• Thanks 1

I regularly get random dropouts of USB devices connected through a hub upon start up. Have you tried the the usual fix of unplugging and replugging and powering down and up again? This usually fixes the problem for me. If the kit has been standing idle for a while, it is worth remaking the connections several times just to remove any surface corrosion that may have occurred on the contacts.

• Thanks 1

Have you tried connecting the camera & filterwheel direct to the laptop to see if they connect that way?

I have an old Phillips SPC900 I'm using as my guide camera and that won't connect via the USB hub on the mount. It lights up and PHD2 says that it's connected but I don't get any image. When I connect it direct to a USB port on the laptop, no problem.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Sounds like a driver problem, do you get an acknowledging bong when  you plug them in ?

What version of Windows are you using ? some older versions used to get their USB ports muddled or simply run out  and need to clear them all and start again then keep everything plugged in the same socket.

You can check in their properties and it should report this device is working properly but that's only the Windows bit

Yes, I do get the bong when plugging them in.  I'm on Windows 10.  On checking driver properties it says the are all working properly.

I have tried re-plugging the USB cables a couple of times to try to clear the connections.

The USB hub can be powered but up to now it has run fine with all the devices attached on PC power only.  On the hub the Lodestar, temperature monitor and Focuser are all working, it's just the two Atik devices that aren't.

I'm trying all connecting via SGP except the Lodestar which goes through PHD2.

Thanks guys, you've given me a few things to try.

I've re-set all the cable connections, tried 3 different Atik driver releases including the latest, and tried plugging the camera directly into the PC.  Nothing worked.  I can't believe its anything to do with SGP, but in case is there another app that I can use to see if the camera and FW will connect?

Thanks

• Sad 1

Daz, I really thought you had the answer.  There were 3 camera instances so I removed them, uninstalled the Atik software and then re-installed - didn't work.

The Artemis software isn't available now with the Atik drivers, in fact I couldn't find it mentioned at all on their website.

So now I'll give N.I.N.A a try.  If that doesn't work I'll take up knitting.

Thanks all for your help.

IT'S SGP!!!!!!!!!  Loaded N.I.N.A and everything works!!! Thanks Spillage.  That's a huge relief.

Given SGP connected to everything but the Atik devices I didn't think it could be the guilty party.  I've been using SGP for years and know it's ins and outs so I guess I'll have to start again to learn NINA and get all the settings sorted out.

Yes, I will tell the SGP folks.

Thanks

• Like 2