Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aristarchus Study and Sketch

Talitha

We've been kidding around lately about an incomplete sketch being called a 'study', so I pasted these together for comparison's sake. The Nov sketch took 2 hours.. the Sep study only took 30 minutes.

The Sep rendering was abandoned because I changed my mind and went for Mersenius instead, and at first I was going to toss it out but decided to give it a stay of execution because Schroter's Valley turned out ok and the spokes in Aristarchus looked kinda cool.

The Nov rendering is definitely more aesthetically pleasing, but you know what? I like the study a lot better because of the simplicity and quick execution (there's that word again :) ).

post-13732-133877407026_thumb.jpg

Carol,

Do you sketch at the eyepiece or photograph the target then draw it at a later date??

They are both very good...But I prefer number 1... :)

The reason I ask is that I have been dabbling with some sketching myself..Although without much success..

I'm just looking at ways of improving the technique..

Greg

Thanks everyone! :)

And thanks for the input.. it's good to know others also prefer the study. :)

Greg, they're all done at the eyepiece. The only exception is occasional blending which needs to be done the next morning if the night air dampened the paper too much. You mentioned sketching from images.. that's actually an excellent way to practice, and it's user-friendly because the terminator doesn't move.

Thanks Paul! :) The 2 hour sketches had to be abandoned because they caused too much back pain... that's why it's so nice to know the 1/2 hour studies will suffice. :) They'll be added as attachments to my reports over in the Observing zone, but not till the weather breaks. Luna was stunningly beautiful last night, but it was -37°C out there.

:reindeer: :santa: <<--- sorry... these are the only 'Arctic'' smilies we have, lol

Only just noticed this thread. Lovely drawings.

When you say, "at the eyepiece" do you draw without looking at what you draw, or just keep going back to the eyepiece and then to the paper to check? Fascinating, and a demonstration of patience I can only wonder at!

How do you deal with the changes in seeing, do they just average out? Sometimes from here it's like looking at the moon through running water.

-37°!!!!!!!!!! Now thats what I call extreme!! (pssst, if you ever visit the UK, you'll notice another extreme. Extreme cloud cover)

Looking forward to more of these.

TJ

PS, I prefer the drama of the Study, but find the sketch easier to 'read', ie, gain information from.

Thanks TJ! :) My sketches are done via the 'look-sketch' 'look-sketch' 'oooops-erase' 'look-sketch' method. And yes a lot of patience is involved, but sketching improved my observing skills tremendously.. a huge reward for the small price of paying more attention.

We get that jigglymush seeing too, but for the most part it ranges between 4 and 6 here. But even when it's a 4, there are short-lived moments to catch the details.. patience and a trained eye required. :)

Archived