Erecting Eyepiece for reflector telescope?

25 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Hi John.

Thank you for coming back to me, with the link. The info I require is for a friend of mine who wants to use his birthday present he got from his wife ages ago for viewing the planets etc above us and also for wildlife viewing and of course he likes to see  the animals etc the right way up, ha, ha.

The telescope he has got is a Newtonian / Relector and its has a 6" aperture.

Kind regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Your friend could try this: With the tube of the Newtonian pointing horizontally at his target, and with the eyepiece pointing up, he should stand with his back to the target while he looks through the eyepiece. (He'd be standing next to the telescope, looking at what is behind him). That way the scene looks upright.

Most erecting prisms just rotate the scene 180°. In Newtonians you get all sorts of strange angles. Though I'm sure 'any-angle rotation' solutions could exist, I've never seen them.

On 05/09/2020 at 12:57, hadyn42 said:

The telescope he has got is a Newtonian / Relector and its has a 6" aperture.

He would probably be better off adding an erector for his finder scope and using that. Wildlife moves quite rapidly and not always in predictable directions 🙂 unlike stellar objects. So it would be quite hard to follow them with such a high magnification which is typically there on a 6" Newt.

Hello Guys

Thank you all for your help and comments!

Starwatcher2001:  Its my next big project to work on, but I don;t think I will ask the guys on here any for help etc, ha, ha.

Keep well and stay safe you guys!

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

I've built several Newtonian reflecting terrestrial binoscopes.  Just purchase a 90 degree erecting diagonal and turn it parallel to the main tube and horizontal.  The only tricky bit is to move the primary mirror forward to gain enough back focus.  You will need to use a minimum of around a 25mm focal length eyepiece or the shadowing of the secondary will be obtrusive.     🙂