Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What powermate to buy

I just ordered a c11 on neq6.

I plan to use this with my zwo 174mm camera for planetary imaging.

I know that F30 is best for planetary imaging so I need a 2x barlow. 

I made up my mind e to go for a powermate but I can't figure it if the 2x or the 2.5x powermate Will be best for me. Of course the 2x will be best but it cost 100euros more than the 2.5x. and the more I read the less I know..

Is there a big difference? The chart at TeleVues website says the magnify the same both of them so if the 2.5x actually just magnifys 2x than ill go for that. But I'd it something I should know? Is it more glass? Or something else that might "damage" the quality of my image? 

Has anyone actually tried the two and seen for them self if there is a difference? 

I really hope someone can answer me on this. Because I have used so much money this season on equipment and I really don't want to spend much more than I need now.

The big difference is that the 2x Powermate is in the 2 inch fitting while the 2.5x is 1.25 inch. That is why the 2x costs more. The optical design and quality is the same. As far as I know the 2.5x does indeed amplify 2.5x.

I had all the Powermates at one stage....

If you use the recommended T thread adaptors then you'll get x2.5 from the 1.25" and x2 from the 2"

Over the years I've found that the x2.5 was the winner for me. It does what I need in the seeing conditions I have.

I regularly image the Sun. With the x2.5 the solar image is just slightly larger than my ASI 1600 frame using the ED80 (80/600)

As a worthwhile, long term "investment" I'd recommend the x2.5 Powermate.

• Like 1

I have the x 2.5 and x 5 and use the  x 2.5.

The x 5 I reckon i have successfully used a handful of times in the 10 years  I've had it, I do try it when I think the seeing will take it but it is very rare.

With the gas giants as low as they are for me the powermate stops in the box and only ventures out when mars gets a bit higher.

8 hours ago, Chrb1985 said:

The C11 is F10, so you will need a 3x barlow to get to F30. 

Saying that though F30 is probably a bit high for the 174mm. You want 3-5x the pixel size for a mono camera, so F18 to F30 tops, with the shorter FL being your workhorse and the longer FL for nights of excellent seeing.

If you buy a barlow instead of a powermate you can tune the amplification factor by placing it (the barlow lens cell) closer or further from the sensor.  I use the APM 2.7x coma correcting barlow and find it excellent and the Baader VIP modular barlow is a great barlow too (a certain Mr Peach uses the Baader VIP). The best planetary imager I currently know of (imho) uses an ancient Clave 2x barlow!

Of all the factors which will affect the quality of your final image, the choice of image amplifier is relatively unimportant so don't worry about it too much (just don't use the plastic skywatcher one!).

Edited by CraigT82

3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

The C11 is F10, so you will need a 3x barlow to get to F30. 

Saying that though F30 is probably a bit high for the 174mm. You want 3-5x the pixel size for a mono camera, so F18 to F30 tops, with the shorter FL being your workhorse and the longer FL for nights of excellent seeing.

If you buy a barlow instead of a powermate you can tune the amplification factor by placing it (the barlow lens cell) closer or further from the sensor.  I use the APM 2.7x coma correcting barlow and find it excellent and the Baader VIP modular barlow is a great barlow too (a certain Mr Peach uses the Baader VIP). The best planetary imager I currently know of (imho) uses an ancient Clave 2x barlow!

Of all the factors which will affect the quality of your final image, the choice of image amplifier is relatively unimportant so don't worry about it too much (just don't use the plastic skywatcher one!).

I meant F20 sorry:p but thanks for great replays! My next worrie is if the 2.5x powermate actually amplifys by 2.5 than maby that will be to much for my sky conditions her in Norway. Hmm so many things to consider..

11 hours ago, Chrb1985 said:

No, with ASI174 and 5.86um pixel size, you want around F/23 (to be precise, for green at 510nm it's exactly F/23).

I would rather go for F/20 than F/25 in this case.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-2x-3x-5x-barlow-focal-extender-125.html

• Thanks 1

Okay do one more thing before I pull the trigger. Shuld I go with the powermate 2.5x or the bader VIP 2x? Those two seems to be the best after alot of reading today and advices from you guys.

Edited by Chrb1985
Miss spelled

Personally, for planetary imaging I'd go with the Baader VIP. Being a barlow you can change the amplification factor easily, and the 1.25" nosepiece that contains the lens element can directly replace the nosepiece of your filter wheel or ADC, and so it doesn't add any length to your imaging train. There is a document you can download from the Baader website that tells you how to calculate the amplification factor for any given distance from lens to sensor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1