NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dithering

Dithering just involves a random movement of the stars in each image to be stacked relative to the image pixels. It can be done manually just by moving the scope/camera position slightly between each image. If your not guiding and your polar alignment isn't perfect, your half way there, especially if the interval between images is varied randomly.

1 hour ago, Anthony1979 said:

Thanks so its more equipment needed

What equipment do you already use? Like I said, you don't need a guide camera/scope to dither. Bare minimum is a goto mount, EQMod cable and a laptop/PC. Assuming you don't want to do it manually of course.

11 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

What equipment do you already use? Like I said, you don't need a guide camera/scope to dither. Bare minimum is a goto mount, EQMod cable and a laptop/PC. Assuming you don't want to do it manually of course.

I use a SW 130pds,  EQ5 wirh the dual axis motors, ive got a guide scope but havent got the camera at the moment and i use either the 450d or the d3500

7 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

I use a SW 130pds,  EQ5 wirh the dual axis motors, ive got a guide scope but havent got the camera at the moment and i use either the 450d or the d3500

Does the controller have an ST4 port? If so, then you may be able to guide using PHD and dither that way. So your right, more gear needed.

Like  david_taurus83 said,  you don't need to be guiding,  or a guide camera  to do dithering with apt, it can do dithering on its own. But you still need to connect apt to the mount with eqmod. 

To do dithering this way you click on the gear tab, hold shift and click on the guide button, where it's showing guide program you choose apt dithering. 

Edited by Atreta
  • Thanks 1