Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter filtering

Dantooine

Can someone advise me on how to knock some of the glare off Jupiter? I’m viewing at 150x with a 102 f7 frac with a ethos 4.7mm. 
I’ve been looking at baader single polarised and neutral density filters (2”) am I on the right track?

Dale. 

What you want is a variable polarising filter. The Baader single polarising filter is intended for use with a Herschel wedge for white light solar where the wedge acts as half of the variable polarising filter.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/astro-essentials-variable-polarising-moon-filter.html

The Baader Neodynium filter is my favourite on Jupiter, Saturn etc.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/baader-neodymium-filter.html

Also, even though the gas giants are pretty low at the moment, in moments of good seeing by far the most detailed views I have had are at twilight. As soon as the sky begins to darken the glare washes out finer detail. Try locating them not long after sunset, if you find them you will be surprised.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I got a Baader Neodymium a few days ago for observing Jupiter. I've only had one chance to use it, but it did seem to help bring out some cloud belt detail and the GRS. 

Did it take the glare/glow off? It may well be atmospheric adding to things I’m not sure. I’m seeing bands fine but it’s sort of like looking at Venus if that makes sense. I think if I can get the glow down more detail will show. 

3 hours ago, Franklin said:

Also, even though the gas giants are pretty low at the moment, in moments of good seeing by far the most detailed views I have had are at twilight. As soon as the sky begins to darken the glare washes out finer detail. Try locating them not long after sunset, if you find them you will be surprised.

Spot on - my best views of Jupiter have come when there is still quite a bit of light in the sky :thumbright:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Did it take the glare/glow off? It may well be atmospheric adding to things I’m not sure. I’m seeing bands fine but it’s sort of like looking at Venus if that makes sense. I think if I can get the glow down more detail will show. 

To be honest I’ve not been bothered by glare or brightness 

12 minutes ago, John said:

Spot on - my best views of Jupiter have come when there is still quite a bit of light in the sky :thumbright:

Lol. I got that tip off you John. I was surprised at just how much more detail was visible!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Lol. I got that tip off you John. I was surprised at just how much more detail was visible!

Well you boys saving me money then. Just have to wait for jupe’s to get up earlier. What about MARS? Get it right or wait 2 years. Clear October nights please 🤞 

6 hours ago, Franklin said:

Also, even though the gas giants are pretty low at the moment, in moments of good seeing by far the most detailed views I have had are at twilight.

During a transit, I could see Io as a 'ball' (more 3D than just a disc!) as it crossed Jupiter's limb, but once it cleared it, it became lost in its own glare against the darkness of space.  I wonder if it is a similar effect...

That's very interesting. I don't know. One possibility is that you were observing the shadow of Io transit across Jupiter, which would of course disappear off the limb into space whilst Io itself was still lost in the glare of the planet. ???

I find the neodymium very useful on Mars and Jupiter. You can’t always observe these planets when there is some twilight left, so why not maximise your viewing opportunities. It seems to boost the contrast and cut the brightness, whilst remaining fairly neutral. I use mine a lot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Franklin said:

That's very interesting. I don't know. One possibility is that you were observing the shadow of Io transit across Jupiter, which would of course disappear off the limb into space whilst Io itself was still lost in the glare of the planet. ???

:) definitely Io itself - nice yellowy ball!  I read about folk obseving albedo features on Jupiter's moons - this was the closest I've come to that.

12 hours ago, Stu said:

I find the neodymium very useful on Mars and Jupiter. You can’t always observe these planets when there is some twilight left, so why not maximise your viewing opportunities. It seems to boost the contrast and cut the brightness, whilst remaining fairly neutral. I use mine a lot.

... and there was me hoping that I was done spending money on astronomy 😂  Hmmmmm......