Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

StarSense - can I recalibrate camera / OTA and updating Align Reference Points

Hello :) 

I have a couple of StarSense related questions please. 

1. So this would be a new calibration point between the camera & OTA, not a new or additional alignement reference. 

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if doing a new calibration now and again might sharpen or help the accuracy of the GOTOs?? I'm not sure how accurate my initial calibration was, but in any case I'm the type who likes to continually make my set ups are as sharp as they can be. 

Regardless of why I want to do it, If it were possible, then maybe I could go to the StarSense menu and follow the calibration proceedure that I did when I initially calibrated the camera / OTA (the one you have to do when you first use SS and then another Auto Align is required after) ??

2.  I added a load of additional alignment points. If I wanted to scrub those (because StarSense stores them - right??) and add new / updated ones is there a way of clearing out the stored additional alignment reference points? 

Any help, insights, tips, advice or ideas all very gratefully received, thank you.   

Siouxsie 

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie

2 hours ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

1. So this would be a new calibration point between the camera & OTA, not a new or additional alignement reference. 

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if doing a new calibration now and again might sharpen or help the accuracy of the GOTOs?? I'm not sure how accurate my initial calibration was, but in any case I'm the type who likes to continually make my set ups are as sharp as they can be. 

Regardless of why I want to do it, If it were possible, then maybe I could go to the StarSense menu and follow the calibration proceedure that I did when I initially calibrated the camera / OTA (the one you have to do when you first use SS and then another Auto Align is required after) ??

You use the calibration process to align the Starsense camera to the OTA it is mounted on. If you never remove the camera from the OTA, then theoretically you only need to do the calibration once. I perform a calibration each time I set my scope up - it only takes a couple of minutes and it allows for any accidental knocks that may have occurred during setup.

3 hours ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

2.  I added a load of additional alignment points. If I wanted to scrub those (because StarSense stores them - right??) and add new / updated ones is there a way of clearing out the stored additional alignment reference points? 

You can save alignment models, but if you have only added alignment points for a session, they xist for that session only. You use more alignment points to improve the pointing model - by default Starsense uses four alignment points only.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

........... I perform a calibration each time I set my scope up - it only takes a couple of minutes and it allows for any accidental knocks that may have occurred during setup.

Thank you, my thinking exactly. To me, it's such an important aspect of the whole StarSense system that I will be happy to spend a few minutes doing it. Although - the only possible 'down side' maybe - a new Auto Alignment would be required after a new calibration, correct? But it's opnly a few minutes so no big deal. In my mind, say if I spent a total of 3 hours observing, I would be very happy to devote 10% of that times, 20 mins or so, to setting up so that I give myself the best foundation for my observing.

You can save alignment models, but if you have only added alignment points for a session, they xist for that session only. You use more alignment points to improve the pointing model - by default Starsense uses four alignment points only.

Ok thanks.

After a calibration, you would need to perform the auto alignment just the same as you would if you went straight into the auto-alignment routine. It is only the calibration which is extending your set up time.

26 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

After a calibration, you would need to perform the auto alignment just the same as you would if you went straight into the auto-alignment routine. It is only the calibration which is extending your set up time.

So you don't have to go: Auto Align >> Calibrate >> Auto Align ? (As you would the first time you use SS) 

If you have an exsiting / extant alignment model, you can just do: Calibrate >> Auto Align 

Do I have that right? 

27 minutes ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

So you don't have to go: Auto Align >> Calibrate >> Auto Align ? (As you would the first time you use SS) 

If you have an exsiting / extant alignment model, you can just do: Calibrate >> Auto Align 

Do I have that right? 

Yes, it is just Calilbrate then auto align. As mentioned before, the only advantage of repeating the calibrate is if you think you may have knocked the camera or you remove it from the OTA each time you finish a session and want to ensure everything is definitely set up correctly next time.

10 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

Yes, it is just Calilbrate then auto align. As mentioned before, the only advantage of repeating the calibrate is if you think you may have knocked the camera or you remove it from the OTA each time you finish a session and want to ensure everything is definitely set up correctly next time.

OK cool, thanks.

Unless you move the position of the camera fitting, I don't think you need to re-calibrate. Just removing and replacing the camera on the fitting doesn't require a recalibration - according to the manual. As Shimrod said, if you've knocked the camera and potentially changed the alignment between the OTA and camera then a calibrate would be in order. But given how robust the fittings are, I'd be surprised if that's necessary.