NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASI2600MC or ASI1600GT

mattd2222

I currently have a ZWO ASI294MC Pro and am looking to get a second camera for a second rig. I am very torn between the ASI2600 colour and the ASI1600GT mono. I love the simplicity of a OSC Camera but am starting to get the itch to do some narrowband imaging. I’m looking for any and all thoughts on this decision. Does getting an ASI2600 make sense since I already have the 294MC? Sure it’s a bigger sensor and better in many ways but is it enough to justify. Would the 2600 paired with a filter like the Triad Ultra Quadband filter make sense? Or should I just go for the mono and put in the time?

Edited by mattd2222

Considerable improvements. Much larger sensor size, APS-C rather than 4/3 but still within the bounds of 36mm filters. But most of all, zero amp-glow and 16 bit ADC. Also it's BSI with a higher QE, reaching above 80%.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DaveS said:

Considerable improvements. Much larger sensor size, APS-C rather than 4/3 but still within the bounds of 36mm filters. But most of all, zero amp-glow and 16 bit ADC. Also it's BSI with a higher QE, reaching above 80%.

Thanks for that, looks Like I need to start saving then eh 🙂 

Steve

On 05/08/2020 at 12:58, DaveS said:

I put the figures in the filter size calculator in astronomy tools, and the SX wheel with 36mm filters is well above the vignetting limit.

According to that tool 31 mm filters are fine unless you are below f4.

Adam

Edited by Adam J

19 hours ago, DaveS said:

Oh, and I'd probably go for the QHY unless Atik or SX come up with something at a not-far-off price.

Any particular reason for that?

I only had one experience with QHY camera - guiding / planetary class and ASI counterpart was much better in terms of software support. I don't know about large sensor models, is there something that should sway potential buyer towards QHY?

23 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Any particular reason for that?

I only had one experience with QHY camera - guiding / planetary class and ASI counterpart was much better in terms of software support. I don't know about large sensor models, is there something that should sway potential buyer towards QHY?

Two things at the moment.

QHY have a rather nifty circular dovetail affair that allows the camera to be rotated relative to the filter wheel, and the choice of multiple readout modes. TBH I would most likely stick with Mode 1, but it's nice to have the option.

The rotation thing is ostensibly to allow the camera to be rotated WRT an OAG, which I don't use, but ASA mounts being so finicky about balance, it would allow me to balance with the filter wheel in a defined position and then rotate the camera for framing. OK, I would need new flats but it may be better to take new flats, or two sets at 0 and 90 deg, rather than have to rebalance when changing orientation.

• Like 2

I've just been on Holiday to a Bortle 4/3 location for two weeks and one night was clear, I managed 1.5 hours of imaging time in two weeks. For me I'll go for an ASI2600MC Pro as my next Camera.

• Sad 1

On 05/08/2020 at 12:16, scitmon said:

wait for the 2600 mono which is highly suspected to be out this year... 

On 16/08/2020 at 10:20, kirkster501 said:

Hey guys, I am also eyeing the 2600 mono.  I am also hoping it will work with 31mm filters so I can port over my Astrodon Ha and LRGB filters over to it.

Are you sure about an ASI2600MM coming out? ASI denied it in May, but you may have better info:

https://www.facebook.com/ZwoDesignAstronomyCameras/posts/hello-zwo-there-will-soon-be-a-new-mono-camera-based-on-the-asi2600-/2807313975984474/

19 minutes ago, gorann said:

Are you sure about an ASI2600MM coming out? ASI denied it in May, but you may have better info:

Hi Goran,

I messaged ZWO on July 30th regarding this and they responded saying that they do plan to release the 2600MM, but there is no info on release date / pricing etc. just yet. 

Cheers

15 minutes ago, Spongey said:

Hi Goran,

I messaged ZWO on July 30th regarding this and they responded saying that they do plan to release the 2600MM, but there is no info on release date / pricing etc. just yet. 

Cheers

Thanks! I see, interesting thread. An APS-C mono will be a real bestseller. I just bought a second ASI1600MM, maybe I should have waited but.....

19 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks! I see, interesting thread. An APS-C mono will be a real bestseller. I just bought a second ASI1600MM, maybe I should have waited but.....

No problem. The ASI1600MM is still a fantastic camera, at a great price, despite it's shortcomings.

18 minutes ago, Spongey said:

No problem. The ASI1600MM is still a fantastic camera, at a great price, despite it's shortcomings.

Yes, I know. Just have to avoid bright stars. And I bought this second one used in mint condition for 850 pounds, so I do not feel too bad.

On 17/08/2020 at 19:03, smr said:

I've just been on Holiday to a Bortle 4/3 location for two weeks and one night was clear, I managed 1.5 hours of imaging time in two weeks. For me I'll go for an ASI2600MC Pro as my next Camera.

That 2600MC Colour gets an amazing write up.  I nearly went for one two or three months ago but I wimped out to wait for the Covid situation with my employment to bottom out.  FLO did not have any in stock then and have not had any since.  Likewise the QHY268C, similarly great write up.

https://www.amateurastrophotography.com/qhy268c-test-report

EDIT:  Bern has the QHY268C in stock!

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

That 2600MC Colour gets an amazing write up.  I nearly went for one two or three months ago but I wimped out to wait for the Covid situation with my employment to bottom out.  FLO did not have any in stock then and have not had any since.  Likewise the QHY268C, similarly great write up.

https://www.amateurastrophotography.com/qhy268c-test-report

EDIT:  Bern has the QHY268C in stock!

FLO did actually have some in stock a couple of weeks ago, but they sold out quite quickly - within the space of a week.

268C or 2600 though? 

Good question.

I would go for the 268 as it has more options for readout modes (See the review that Steve linked above), and I suspect the build might be better.

However, looking closely I think the back focus is longer with the QHY, something to watch out for if you want to put filters in the light path, as it could push them above the vignetting threshold.

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Good question.

I would go for the 268 as it has more options for readout modes (See the review that Steve linked above), and I suspect the build might be better.

However, looking closely I think the back focus is longer with the QHY, something to watch out for if you want to put filters in the light path, as it could push them above the vignetting threshold.

I've never owned a QHY Camera or a ZWO apart from my 120MM but that's been fine. The only thing I know, other than what you've just said is that QHY apparantly have a bit of a reputation for not as stable drivers, but by the sound of things have got much better with driver stability over recent years. The other thing is that I see a lot more people with the 2600 - a couple of users here and quite a few 2600 owners on CN. I've yet to hear from anyone who has the QHY version apart from Jared.