NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommendations on 6” reflector please

With reference to my earlier post about in dilemma of choosing a new telescope, seems like it that I might have to choose. 6” purely due to lack of funds and off course storage.

which 6” reflector would you guys recommend?

dobs or eq2 mount?

focal length 1200 or 700?

this will help me narrow down to a few!

thanks in advance to everyone out there!

A 6 inch reflector (even an F/5 one) is likely to be unsteady on an EQ2 mount but will be very solid on the dobsonian mount.

The Skywatcher 6 inch dobsonians are F/8.

3 hours ago, galaxy-gazer said:

With reference to my earlier post about in dilemma of choosing a new telescope, seems like it that I might have to choose. 6” purely due to lack of funds and off course storage.

dobs or eq2 mount?

I am no expert, but I'll jump in because I also set out to find a 6'' reflector. The problem that I found is that an eq2 mount would be unstable unless you spend a fortune on  a very solid one. A dobs would be stable and cheap. In the end I didn't go that way because my partner didn't want a dobs because they're bulky, so we decided to go for an SCT instead of a reflector. The SCT costs more money than a dobs, but not as much as a reflector with an eq2 mount strong enough to hold it steady.

For a 6'' = 150mm aperture we get:

FL = 1200 -->  focal ratio = F/8

FL = 700 --> focal ratio = F/4.67

I have been advised that a focal ratio around F/5 is very difficult to use because the image goes out of focus very easily, and you may need to spend a lot of money on an expensive eyepiece just to get the F/5 to work. I have been told that it's better to go for a longer focal ratio (so in this case, F/8) because it's easier to use and a less expensive eyepiece works just fine.

19 hours ago, galaxy-gazer said:

dobs or eq2 mount?

Thank you all for the advise and recommendations...

I think I am nearly there in deciding...

1) Skywatcher Explorer -150PL (1200 focal)

EQ3-2 mount seems flimsy to me - aluminium

EQ5 will make the kit very expensive (I think)

2) Skywatcher 150P (Dobsonian)

just out of interest has anyone used both of the above? to get me a personal review?

thanks !

Optically they are both exactly the same, it is just the mount that is different. The aluminum legs do the EQ3-2 mount no favours when trying to handle the long tube of the 150PL.

The dobsonian mount is much steadier and the eyepiece and finder of the scope remain in an accessible position at all times.

The equatorial mount can have motor drives fitted or even a GOTO system but the EQ5 mount on steel tripod legs would be the minimum that I would consider for the 1200mm focal length tube assembly.

Between the F/8 and F/5 there is also F/6 model:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11239_TS-PHOTON-6--F6-Advanced-Newtonian-Telescope-with-Metal-Tube.html

Less coma, less harsh on eyepieces, yet capable of wider field views (has 2" focuser as well and decent size secondary). Would be well suited on AZ4 as mentioned above.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Between the F/8 and F/5 there is also F/6 model:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11239_TS-PHOTON-6--F6-Advanced-Newtonian-Telescope-with-Metal-Tube.html

Less coma, less harsh on eyepieces, yet capable of wider field views (has 2" focuser as well and decent size secondary). Would be well suited on AZ4 as mentioned above.

f6 is a nice place to be IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I fell into the trap of commenting on the options that the OP is considering :rolleyes2:

There are other very good  options of course :icon_biggrin:

And rightly so- I never know whether to comment on what one is considering or offer an opinion on what I think might be a better option.