Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New telescope advice

Hi all,

I currently have a 10" Meade Dobsonian Lightbridge but every time I use it I get frustrated as there are no fine tuning movements on it. I am thinking of getting a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT. What differences am I going to notice and does anyone have either of these and can give some advice.

Thanks

I haven't had either but have owned the same aperture scopes. All I do know is you will be disappointed with your views if you get a 130 after using a 10" dob. 

I would simply replace the current focuser with something better such as a skywatcher (budget option) or baader steeltrack or moonlight focuser. All available as 2" and with 10-1 speed. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/focusers.html

Edited by bomberbaz

There’s also tracking base mounts for dobs, eliminates the constant nudging.  One of those coupled with the 10” optics would be really good for lunar & planetary at high powers.

Thanks for the replies. I already have a crayford focuser fitted. It's as alkaid said. The constant nudging and the lack of stiffness even after tightening it up. Because it's the light bridge with the trusses it's too heavy and unable to be put on a equatorial mount without modifications and a couple of grand spent on a mount to be able to take the weight. Without weighing it I'd estimate it weighs about 20kg ish. Only other option I have is to add some kind of gear drive into the base of the dob. Been looking into a lot of options today and now thinking I may get either the 10" dob which is go to or a 8" reflector on an equatorial mount also being a go to just so I can have tracking capabilities. Any suggestions?

I have a lovely 8" OOUK the VX model with high grade mirror. This scope is very light and manageable and the views are cracking, . Such a portable and capable aperture . I do use mine on an AZ, but i cannot see why you can't get some sort of tracking mount if that's what you desire. The OOUk 8" is such a good versatile instrument and second hand come up at very reasonable cost.

1 hour ago, Iceman120 said:

Thanks for the replies. I already have a crayford focuser fitted. It's as alkaid said. The constant nudging and the lack of stiffness even after tightening it up. Because it's the light bridge with the trusses it's too heavy and unable to be put on a equatorial mount without modifications and a couple of grand spent on a mount to be able to take the weight. Without weighing it I'd estimate it weighs about 20kg ish. Only other option I have is to add some kind of gear drive into the base of the dob. Been looking into a lot of options today and now thinking I may get either the 10" dob which is go to or a 8" reflector on an equatorial mount also being a go to just so I can have tracking capabilities. Any suggestions?

depends what your future intentions are tbh. If you are maybe wanting to do some astro photography then the EQ option may be the best as easiest to adapt later down the line.

If you are simply looking at visual with maybe a bit of camera phone pictures at best then the goto dob is best option. Easier to set up and on the EQ version mounting a 10" newt is no easy task.  

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-flextube-goto.html

I'm new to astronomy, I bought a 130 reflector a few months ago which has been great for an intro but I'm already wanting a bit more.  Plus I don't have goto as yet.  Mount will be next upgrade. 

15 minutes ago, Gmx76 said:

I'm new to astronomy, I bought a 130 reflector a few months ago which has been great for an intro but I'm already wanting a bit more.  Plus I don't have goto as yet.  Mount will be next upgrade. 

If you want goto I have the az gti wifi mount which is a great bit of kit to me

I'm glad you said that as I have my eyes on that.  I have the Starquest 130p which is a nice little scope and I think weighs in around 4kg though not actually weighed it myself. I do visual and EEVA and like the look of it as it supports eq mode but isn't such a lump as an eq3 or above by the looks of it. What scope are you using and have you tried eq mode? 

2 hours ago, Gmx76 said:

I'm glad you said that as I have my eyes on that.  I have the Starquest 130p which is a nice little scope and I think weighs in around 4kg though not actually weighed it myself. I do visual and EEVA and like the look of it as it supports eq mode but isn't such a lump as an eq3 or above by the looks of it. What scope are you using and have you tried eq mode? 

Hello again Gmx76 (name).

I have used it in eq mode a lot. Works very well too. 

Used it in this mode with a number of ota's including a 80/600 frac, 127/1500 mak and a Lunt LS35. Also used it on a mini guide scope. All performed well on the mount. 

TIP: Get the mount head only and use it with a 1.75" steel mount or better. The difference in stability is considerable. 

Steve

PS. You may need an extension pillar too. 

9 hours ago, Iceman120 said:

I may get either the 10" dob which is go to or a 8" reflector on an equatorial mount also being a go to just so I can have tracking capabilities. Any suggestions?

To mount the 8" or 10" newt you need a massive mount like my AZEQ6- works great but is a beast. Depending on your budget there are options... A C8, C9.25 or better yet a Takahashi Mewlon 180 or 210.

What do you like to observe? There are  100mm-120mm refractors out there that offer fine lunar/planetary views.

Edited by jetstream

9 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Hello again Gmx76 (name).

I have used it in eq mode a lot. Works very well too. 

Used it in this mode with a number of ota's including a 80/600 frac, 127/1500 mak and a Lunt LS35. Also used it on a mini guide scope. All performed well on the mount. 

TIP: Get the mount head only and use it with a 1.75" steel mount or better. The difference in stability is considerable. 

Steve

PS. You may need an extension pillar too. 

Thanks  Steve, good advice. Initial plan was to mount it on my EQ2 mount to get the angle,  do you know if this will work?  Would definitely want to get a better tripod at some point.  Thanks Greg

3 hours ago, Gmx76 said:

Thanks  Steve, good advice. Initial plan was to mount it on my EQ2 mount to get the angle,  do you know if this will work?  Would definitely want to get a better tripod at some point.  Thanks Greg

Yeah it should work but check before you buy that the fittings are ok. You would also need the star adventurer wedge https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer-equatorial-wedge-white.html 

You might find it a little wobbly due to the tripod not being the best and so it might be worth filling your tripod legs with sand or hanging a 5kg bag of sand (or similar) from underneath the tripod to add stability. Also only extend the legs as far as is reasonably needed when doing eeva.

Then you would need to flash the mount itself for EQ mode which is relatively easy but make sure you follow a youtube tutorial first, that's what I did and I made sure I really understood exactly the process. Simple though it is you really don't want to be screwing this part up. 

9 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Yeah it should work but check before you buy that the fittings are ok. You would also need the star adventurer wedge https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer-equatorial-wedge-white.html 

You might find it a little wobbly due to the tripod not being the best and so it might be worth filling your tripod legs with sand or hanging a 5kg bag of sand (or similar) from underneath the tripod to add stability. Also only extend the legs as far as is reasonably needed when doing eeva.

Then you would need to flash the mount itself for EQ mode which is relatively easy but make sure you follow a youtube tutorial first, that's what I did and I made sure I really understood exactly the process. Simple though it is you really don't want to be screwing this part up. 

That's a great help,  thanks for that. Have to wait a couple of months till I spend more money but I think this sounds like a good bet. 

22 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Nice looking set up there and a pretty decent price 

Yeah I have actually ordered it now should be here Tuesday with some clear skies coming in Thursday and Friday so looking forward to giving it a shot. Also got a new 2" 13mm lens coming so hoping for some pretty sweet views. Jupiter Saturn and mars all visible about 1:30 out my back garden. Could give me a chance to attach my dslr and try a picture but we'll see what happens. If I get anything decent I will be posting them

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Iceman120 said:

No not yet. Do you have one for sale or can you recommend one?

Either a larger one: Skywatcher 17h power bank, or a smaller one, Celestron Lithium Battery. Don’t buy second hand battery, because it may be near the end of its life  (when they are sold second hand it means they are near the end of their life as they can be recharged only a limited number of times).

Edited by Dippy