Modified or unmodified DSLR camera for Comet

Taff

Hi' I am not sure which camera to use to capture the Comet, Modified or Unmodified DSLR Camera? and which way is best to capture the Comet.At Prime focus or Piggyback way Thanks for looking.Mark

I wouldn't have thought it makes much difference on a comet between a modified or an unmodified DSLR, but others may disagree.  As to prime focus or piggy back, I suppose it depends upon what focal lengths you will be using.  If you're talking about Comet NEOWISE then it's now got quite decent a tail so just make sure it will all fit within your FOV.

I went for a 200 mm F/2.8 on NEOWISE, with an unmodded Canon 80D

Full image

IMG_8958.thumb.JPG.4fbb152ad8878206597e4abe01882403.JPG

crop of 37 stacked frames

103CANON_lapl4_ap3crop.thumb.jpg.438dd52289e2a2ef34308780a1199628.jpg

Note that this was taken a few days ago, the more recent images I have seen show a longer tail, against a darker sky. I think I will stick to the 200 F/2.8 for the next shot hopefully coming Saturday or Sunday night

3 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I went for a 200 mm F/2.8 on NEOWISE, with an unmodded Canon 80D

Full image

IMG_8958.thumb.JPG.4fbb152ad8878206597e4abe01882403.JPG

crop of 37 stacked frames

103CANON_lapl4_ap3crop.thumb.jpg.438dd52289e2a2ef34308780a1199628.jpg

Note that this was taken a few days ago, the more recent images I have seen show a longer tail, against a darker sky. I think I will stick to the 200 F/2.8 for the next shot hopefully coming Saturday or Sunday night

Good to hear, I am planning on imaging it with a 180mm F2.8 lens, if it clears later.  Was this on a tracking mount or will the exposures be too short to matter.  I wasnt sure whether to use the SA or just a static tripod.

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Good to hear, I am planning on imaging it with a 180mm F2.8 lens, if it clears later.  Was this on a tracking mount or will the exposures be too short to matter.  I wasnt sure whether to use the SA or just a static tripod.

These shots were in the order of a second or so (haven't got the files handy) at ISO 800. Next time I think I will set up the EQ3-2. I might also have a go with the Sigma 50-100 F/1.8 ART lens. That is a fabulous portait zoom that might be ideal for a long-tailed comet, or in general a wide-field shot to put it into context

• Like 1

My shots (crops below) on the 6th July were with an unmodified DSLR, 200mm lens at F/5.6 ISO 800 1 second exposure. First time that I'd tried anything like that but it seemed to work. Rather a nervous process because the gap in the clouds was not going to last long and the comet faded quite fast as the dawn light started to come into the sky.

Hope to get some more soon :smiley:

neowise06072020.JPG

neowise06072020crop.JPG

• Like 2

The tail of the comet is dust which reflects sunlight.

The brighter head (coma) seems to be "glowing" and the Sodium atoms are excited emitting a prominent band at 5890A.

There's also emission from the Swan bands between 4440 and 5600A, the CH emission at 4300A is also evident