NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC253

Spongey

Martin Pugh, rather generously, recently released some data of NGC253 to the public as a way to show what the setups he manages are capable of. The data can be downloaded by anyone wishing to have a play here: http://www.mrpugh55.cba-sierras.com/NGC253HaLRGB.zip

The setup used for this shot is a Planewave 17" CDK f6.8 on a Paramount ME, located in Chile.

Camera is an SBIG STXL11002 with AOX, and Astrodon LRGB Gen II, 3nm Ha.

This is 1 Hour of Lum and RGB each in 20 min subs, and 90 mins of Ha in 30 min subs. For this short integration time it is truly fantastic data. I would be very interested to see how others end up processing it should you get the chance.

This is my first attempt at processing it, a couple of hours worth and I think there are still some improvements to be made; if anyone has any constructive criticism I would greatly appreciate it!

NGC253.thumb.jpg.d71f615cc059639d9abc6d1378113f1a.jpg

Cheers

• Like 14

On 08/07/2020 at 19:03, tomato said:

Wow, now that’s quality data.

Yeah what he said!  I met the Planewave guys at an American Astronomical Society meeting once.  Their scopes had my jaw on the floor (as well as performing well they are utterly beautiful things).

That said, you've done a lovely job processing the data.

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Fantastic.  My only criticism, if youd even call it that, is I like it better rotated 90 CCW.

Oh no, I don't think I can agree with you there Adam!  I prefer the original orientation but my only criticism would be that the framing isn't optimal... and there's not much @Spongey can do about that... and I'd feel unfair criticising Martin Puge since he's been kind enough to open up his data (but I would expect such a high end rig in such a wonderful location to have a camera rotator...)