Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help! ASI 1600mm Pro weird issue

I purchased an ASI 1600mm Pro camera from FLO back in May. What a great camera and it certainly exceeded my expectations with superb image quality. All was working fine until last week, when all of a sudden, the resultant images had these horrible vertical lines running down them. Nothing else had changed. I'm using Sequence Generator Pro with Narrow band filters, although the vertical lines are not filter specific. I updated the camera driver and that seemed to fix the issue initially, but within an hour the vertical lines had re-appeared. I have enclosed a screenshot.

The Camera Firmware is Version 5.0 and the FPGA FW version is 1600 V 1.1.2.7. However, not sure if this is the latest version.

Any ideas what could be causing the issue?

Thank you in advance,

Surinder

IMG_1176.PNG

Are you viewing these in SGP image preview? I have had all sorts of weird artefacts when viewing in this mode, but the extended subs when downloaded and saved are OK. 
I think there is a ‘fast download’checkbox that needs to be unticked in the settings, I have seen the effect on CMOS and CCD  cameras.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bigfoot 9907 said:

I have loaded the fits file in Deep sky stacker and the vertical lines are still visible unfortunately.

image.thumb.png.6254ba3ae78132796c5088b688067db2.png

Ok, that rules out the preview mode. I would try some other capture software to eliminate SGP and show it is a camera problem. The temperature comment from @andrew s sounds like a good call.

@johnoelliott I've taken the red pill i think 😄

@andrew s last night was the hottest night we've had this year (25 degrees) and the camera cooled to -20 below ambient without any issues. Never have issues with cooling.

@tomato I've opened up the bad images  in pixinsight and the vertical lines are still present. However, last night i didn't have any issues at all with vertical lines having imaged for about 2.5 hours. Will keep an eye on it.

I thought it was a starlink pic on first glance! Contact Firstlight, sure they'll sort any issues. 
Mine has been running at almost 80% on cooler for last two night to get to -20, no issues. Perhaps try switching USB cables.  

• Like 1

I've had issues with specific cables. I've always put it down to using very long usb3 cables between scope and pc. I've recently started having far fewer issues by ditching usb3 and using the 1600pro with usb2. Good luck.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post, but thought I'd dig it up as I have recently been having the exact same issue with my ASI1600MM Pro.  I've had this particular camera for about 10 months and it has worked great up until a few weeks ago when the problems began.  Since then, it's gone from an annoyance, to affecting every single frame, making the camera completely unusable.

@Bigfoot 9907 have you resolved your issue, and if so, what was your solution?

2fa11df6-9093-4f3f-ad80-96630978fe282.jpg

Screenshot_20231008_205613.jpg

On 18/10/2023 at 04:03, Cornelius Varley said:

@Glen M The OP hasn't visited the forum since July 2022 so don't expect a prompt reply.

Yeah, I noticed that thanks.  Likely should have started a new post, but thought given the issue is similar in nature, would just dig up a dormant post instead and see if any lurkers had any ideas or experience with this problem.

At any rate, I've contacted the retailer regarding the issue, gave them the details and let them know of the troubleshooting steps I've tried.  They contacted ZWO and it looks like I'll be sending it back to them for repair.

Appreciate the response!

On 18/10/2023 at 10:13, Elp said:

Might not be related but the granular appearance is similar to this:

Hey @Elp thanks for the reply.  Had a look at the post and looks like the artifact forms a random pattern, whereas the pattern coming from my camera is a consistent interference pattern over the entire sensor area.  I suspect it's likely a different issue.  Appreciate the link!