NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Goto Mount Too Loud to Use

dd999

46 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Yeah - I think the weights are around £25-£30 on their own.

I have an EQ2 which has a bar - I'll have to have a look to see if this is a m12 connector. The weight is more than 1kg though, so would have to get one anyway

I got a 20cm M12 bolt (longer ones are available) and the Explore Scientific Dob Counterweight set (with this set you get 2 1kg counterweights for the price of one):

IMG_20200613_142004843.thumb.jpg.c041c57ffc6cfbf24a2d0ea4745a6d56.jpg

By the way, I know this doesn't look very balanced, but my counterbalancing is primarily to reduce strain on the ALT gear  not the AZ gear.

Edited by Ags

Has anyone tried the AZ GTi in EQ mode for photography?

I know SkyWatcher have said in their firmware update for EQ mode it's not intended to be used for AP, but is anyone having any reasonable success using it in this way - particularly with how accurate the tracking is?

I'm not necessarily looking for 1 hour exposures, but is it accurate enough for 1-3min exposures? I'm reading mixed reviews.

I have run my az gti in eq mode with a zwo usb camera and longest combined run I have done had been around 5 minutes worth of short exposures limited to about 5 seconds per exposure. Had limited success so far but it is capable from results I have seen off others.

I must add I did upgrade the tripod to something more sturdy though.

11 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

There is a thread on this forum of members using the mount and imaging Link to a great photo there's an even longer thread if you google.

If I could get half as good as that I would be happy, I might have a go at the owl nebula next time the opportunity arises as an easier starting object. 

On 22/06/2020 at 10:13, dd999 said:

After going ahead and purchasing the AZ Gti and a Manfrotto 055 xprob tripod I've now set everything up for a first night viewing last night - and I'm bitterly disappointed how noisy the mount is when in goto (slew) mode. This is my first goto so had little to compare it against. 

Using the free Synscan app you can track slow and quiet, adjust the speed of manual skew to around 6 or 7 which is still fast enough and pretty quiet to use.... ....but the moment you choose an object for your mount to slew or goto, it disregards any skew speed setting, immediately cranks to maximum of 9, and well basically it's too loud for me to feel comfortable using at 1am. 

Unfortunately my neighbours are close by and with summer here and windows open, I can't use the goto at night - which is pretty crap, as it's the main reason I purchased.

Apparently, reading on this forum, someone asked Skywatcher about this two years ago, and whether a firmware update could be released to choose the speed of the goto. They basically said no. 

Has anyone found a way around this - or will one of the 3rd party apps allow you to select the speed the mount chooses in goto mode?

I'd be happy to pay an extra premium just to have this control.

Its so loud I'm at the verge of returning it, but thought I'd try you clever people first - it's nuts really when such a simple UI control would fix!

Yes, a way round the problem: if you set up sky safari to control the mount The you can set the slew speed before you hit goto. Obviously it will slew more slowly but will be a lot quieter!

Well, I told you I would investigate and get back at you. I tried setting different custom slew speeds under EKOS, but no matter what I do, they only work for "manually" slewing (joystick or arrow buttons) but GO-TOs are always at maximum speed. I requested help in the INDI Forum regarding the issue, I'll see if anyone answer and has a workaround.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, robhatherton said:

Yes, a way round the problem: if you set up sky safari to control the mount The you can set the slew speed before you hit goto. Obviously it will slew more slowly but will be a lot quieter!

I've tried that but unfortunately it doesn't work. You can slower the speed and control the scope through SkySafari Plus, but it doesn't matter which speed you have slew at - the moment you hit the goto button on SkySafari (or Synscan) it's straight back to maximum speed again  

My Plan D right now is to use SkySafari and manually control my mount at a slow slew to roughly where I want to go - and then hit goto for the last 'bit'.

Doing this via the SkySafari interface on an Android device, rather than looking up at the sky and doing it with Syncan, is at least easier. Think it's going to bug me until I can find someway around it

On 22/06/2020 at 23:41, dd999 said:

Yes ..... and yes I'm afraid

Sounds like a damn cement mixer going off in the garden at 1am

These are probably extremely stupid ideas but i'll fire it off anyway: there are these egg-box shaped silencer foam thingies. Maybe glue some of them together as a silencer around the part of the mount that contains the gears? Can the mount be belt modded? I personally use eqmod.

Edited by uhb1966

Haha I had an equally questionable thought about trying to sound proof this someway. Came up with all types of wacky thoughts. 

I'm game and frustrated enough to try at least. 

No idea about a belt mod. Not heard anyone talk about it. 

Out of the 4 goto mounts I've had, EQ5 + Pro, AZEQ6, AZGTi and current CEM25P, the EQ5 was the noisiest. (In contrast, the iOptron is literally whisper quiet) I was concerned when I checked out some YouTube videos of the AZGti but was a bit relieved when I tried it out in person. That said, I did take it apart and added a bit more grease to where I thought it was lacking and smoothed out a rough spot it had when I turned it by hand. I used mine in EQ mode and got decent results at 350mm focal length. Guided 5 minute subs were easily achievable with good polar alignment and balancing. Dec backlash was a bit of a pain but if guided in North or South only it was fine. Average 1.5" RMS. And that was with 5kg of kit with 2kg of counterweight. Very capable little mount. Best picture I've took (imo) was on that mount.

OrionHorseFlameSCNR.jpg

5 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Out of the 4 goto mounts I've had, EQ5 + Pro, AZEQ6, AZGTi and current CEM25P, the EQ5 was the noisiest. (In contrast, the iOptron is literally whisper quiet) I was concerned when I checked out some YouTube videos of the AZGti but was a bit relieved when I tried it out in person. That said, I did take it apart and added a bit more grease to where I thought it was lacking and smoothed out a rough spot it had when I turned it by hand. I used mine in EQ mode and got decent results at 350mm focal length. Guided 5 minute subs were easily achievable with good polar alignment and balancing. Dec backlash was a bit of a pain but if guided in North or South only it was fine. Average 1.5" RMS. And that was with 5kg of kit with 2kg of counterweight. Very capable little mount. Best picture I've took (imo) was on that mount.

OrionHorseFlameSCNR.jpg

Really great shot! - it certainly adds to the motivation and optimism I have of this little mount.

Is the CEM25P a lot quieter than the AZ GTi?

Edited by dd999

I just had a helpful reply from OVL on my question as to any possible way - no matter how crazy, how outside of the box and even if it came at an additional cost  - to change the goto slew speeds - their response:

'No'

I've removed the slight token fluffyness of the email, but this is the general gist. Something I guess we all knew, but always nice to get the confirmation 

9 minutes ago, dd999 said:

Really great shot! - it certainly adds to the motivation and optimism I have of this little mount.

Is the CEM25P a lot quieter than the AZ GTi?

Thanks! That was only 60s shots but it guided steady and recentred with platesolving over a few nights.

The CEM25 is even quiter than the belt driven AZEQ6. If you stand a few metres back you cant even hear it slewing.

I must admit, this is putting me off a little from buying one of these mounts, although in most other respects (variable quality from unit to unit being the other exception) it seems a great mount.

I have a Celestron Mount and the Goto slewing noise was also a concern for back garden observing. On the Celestron Mount there is a Scope Setup setting called “Custom Rate 9”. It’s not obvious from the name, but this actually controls the Goto slew rate. It turns out that the Goto slews at whatever speed slew rate 9 corresponds to, and that speed can be set to match one of the slower rates.

Just wondering if there is something similar in the Skywatcher Mount firmware (given they are both owned by the same company). If not, then I don’t know whether there is a forum, or a way to post feedback on the firmware download site, as it sounds like something that could easily be added to a future firmware release, if enough people want it.

Regards,

Tim