SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Milky way much bigger than thought...

TheMightyKong

me too, ended up demolishing a wall to make it fit :hello2:

Me three, we had to remove our front window to get ours in the lounge !

I did the measuring for that one as my wife frequently reminds me :oops:

John

There should be a new branch of physics just for settees.

And 'Measure-Resistant' warnings.

The perceived smallness of the furniture is inversely proportionate to the size of the space you prepared for it. Very quantum.

Having an old house with some 5' 6" doors in odd places moving furniture from room to room is a very one off thing. The wardrobe in our bedroom had to be reduced to planks and rebuilt for example. As for king sized beds!

But settees are a real special. I eventually worked out that the inner area (where you sit) is roughly half the size of the outer area (which you have to fit in the room). This means you always get a settee smaller than you think you want - or get a bigger room. As the settee we have is the used thing in the room we choose one that is small but comfy and is also high enough when you are seated to stand up from without getting a jack to help you up. As has been said there is a whole science to settees!

Perhaps we could re-name a constellation in honour of the humble settee...Pegasus looks like the classic boxy Chesterfield...Gemini has more of a low, modern (Ikea-type) feel to it.

I like the Pegasus idea - poor Andromeda is nearly horizontal trying to push The Settee through the lounge door.

But if the Geminid Settee got stuck in the door, at least Perseus could remove the Castor to get it through....! (possibly the weakest nearly-joke I've cracked in 41 years...)

:laughing2: :hello1: nice take. I just laughed my pollux off...

:laughing3: Ha! Nice one, centurion!

Pegasus is certainly boxy enough to be the Chesterfield (albeit only a 2 seater).

Cassiopeia is definitely a recliner - very well observed! But is it a garden recliner? If it is, then may I suggest that Auriga is a gazebo that's been blown over in the wind?

Archived