Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WR-134

Rodd

Several beautifully rendered bicolor images of this target prompted me to make the attempt.  Conditions started out fairly poorly for the Ha, but improved greattly for the OIII.  Wolf Rayet stars spawn  some of the most interesting targets in the heavens in my opinion, from Thor's Helmet to the Cresecnt Nebula, to this intriguing example.  I knew it was going to be tough to pick up the full bubble, so I am fairly pleased in that much of the blue circular area is visible--though faintly.  Bicolor images always give me trouble.  This one was no exception.  I was surprised at the amount of OIII emission not associated with the main feature--the arc structure and fainter bubble.  I am just guessing, but it seems WR-134 must be a monstrously powerful star and the OIII throughout this image, having originated from the star, has been blwon out into the surrounding region.  Then again--maybe it s just me!....regulating background OIII is one of the cjallenges for me with HOO images

TOA 130 with .7x reducer and ASI 1600mmcool pro with 3nm Astrodon filters

Ha: 137 300 sec

OIII: 133: 300 sec

Image39.thumb.jpg.53dc961fbca8fb2082a2f7ded0fc071d.jpg

Reduced stras a bit--not sure which I like better

Image39alt.thumb.jpg.558af190211f489ae0f402e7aea43e2d.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 23

9 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Hi Rod, that’s a lovely image. Can you tell me where WR 134 is located.

Thanks Hughsie.  WR-134 is located in Cygnus about 1/4 the way from Sadr to Alberio.  between the  Crescent Nebula and the Tulip Nebula.  It is a fascinating region

• Thanks 1

Great image!

Is this one of those objects that can only be seen with the 3nm filters?

I had a bit of difficulty finding this,  but after some research found these coordinates:

RA: 20h 10m 14.2s

Dec: 36deg 10 min 35.07sec

Geoff

Edited by Spitfire
addition

1 hour ago, Spitfire said:

Great image!

Is this one of those objects that can only be seen with the 3nm filters?

I had a bit of difficulty finding this,  but after some research found these coordinates:

RA: 20h 10m 14.2s

Dec: 36deg 10 min 35.07sec

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. 

1 hour ago, Kinch said:

Rodd.....are you taking the stars out, then putting them back in at the end. Not sure what it is, but something going on here.....

Capture.JPG

No.  It’s called the bicolor plague.  Always gets me.  I’ll keep at it.  I don’t know what it is either.  You’d think with 22.5 hours of data it would be better.  Maybe PI really does fall short. Maybe I really need a 3rd channel.  But I like the bicolor palette for this target. I really am not fond of the sho palette for this

Edited by Rodd

2 hours ago, Kinch said:

Rodd.....are you taking the stars out, then putting them back in at the end. Not sure what it is, but something going on here.....

Here is a reprocess.  Stars are better, but I lost some of the bubble.  

Image05b.thumb.jpg.47bacf20bdad413453f56dfad977cc23.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Have I caught it in this wide but shallow mosaic or am I looking in the wrong place please?

I respnded on your thread--yes you caught WR-134.  Its hard to see though because full resolution does not provide a very close in look.  You shoukld see the bright arc (visible in Ha).

Wonderful image Rodd.  I make a point of not homing in to examine stars but prefer to look at the overall image.  Your first two images move my soul far more than the reprocess!  You've given the image some punch and this has worked really well. 

A new target to look out for!

23 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Wonderful image Rodd.  I make a point of not homing in to examine stars but prefer to look at the overall image.  Your first two images move my soul far more than the reprocess!  You've given the image some punch and this has worked really well. 

A new target to look out for!

Thanks Martin. Yes, I agree. I have gone back to the original image on my Astrobin page.  I appreciate your input.  I think I will collect more oiii and maybe rgb stars 

9 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Thanks Rodd, think I'm looking in the right spot now.

Cartes-du-ceil, which I use, has the progenitor star in its catalogue: HD191765.  It will take you right to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

SAO 69541

That maybe the star next to HD191765--not sure.  maybe they are the same just with different designations (HD vs SAO).  In either case--you got the right spot

5 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Extremely well done Rodd,that looks a toughie.

Mick.

Thanks Mick....well, all bicolored images are tough for me.  I manage to get where I am going but man is it a convoluted path. 

• Like 1

Well--I had to reprocess.  I read in a PI tutorial that narrowband images should be channel combined in the non linear state after stretching the individual stacks.  this was new to me, so I gave it a go.  It didn't help that I was working on a monitor that looked COMPLETELY different--so I had to process, post to my private page, process more, post to my private page....etc...etc...etc.  Here is the result.  Better stars, more OIII visible as faint emissions.  Brightness was a huge issue as the monitor tends to portray very dark.   Anyway--I think its better

Blend3b.thumb.jpg.2294a1c860b386c711d62513b3e71b0e.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 2