NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starnet++

51 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Whats the secret to loading this software.

Hi.

• Unzip the contents of the StarNet++ zip file and copy all the files to the bin subdirectory within the PixInsight subdirectory (C:/Programme Files/PixInsight/bin on my Windows laptop).
  • Open PixInsight and goto the Process menu and select Install Modules...
  • Browse to the bin subdirectory and click on Search and select StarNet from the list.
  • Click on Install

In my case the StarNet process appeared in <Etc>.

HTH

Adrian

P.S. I gave up trying to use it on my MacBook - too much hassle using the command line option and the install option is not available.

Edited by Adreneline

19 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Hi.

• Unzip the contents of the StarNet++ zip file and copy all the files to the bin subdirectory within the PixInsight subdirectory (C:/Programme Files/PixInsight/bin on my Windows laptop).
  • Open PixInsight and goto the Process menu and select Install Modules...
  • Browse to the bin subdirectory and click on Search and select StarNet from the list.
  • Click on Install

In my case the StarNet process appeared in <Etc>.

HTH

Adrian

P.S. I gave up trying to use it on my MacBook - too much hassle using the command line option and the install option is not available.

Exactly this if you use pixinsight, although just one thing to add, and where I went wrong is that the default download won't work with pixinsight. You have to download from here https://sourceforge.net/projects/starnet/files/PixInsight_module/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I don't use Pixinsight.

Strange software indeed.

Mick.

You can use the stand-alone version of it, Mick, you don't need to have PI to use it.

I use it on my 2017 iMac running macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

If you follow the install instructions contained in the download it runs in a terminal window and it works fine.   I find it easiest to simply copy the image file I want to process into the same directory that Starnet is installed in and run it from there.   Note: it will only work on 16 bit tif files no other format.

It won't work on some older Macs due to the Intel chips they have not being able to run certain instructions.

43 minutes ago, wornish said:

I use it on my 2017 iMac running macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

If you follow the install instructions contained in the download it runs in a terminal window and it works fine.   I find it easiest to simply copy the image file I want to process into the same directory that Starnet is installed in and run it from there.   Note: it will only work on 16 bit tif files no other format.

It won't work on some older Macs due to the Intel chips they have not being able to run certain instructions.

Yes it works fine on Mojave, but unfortunately not Catalina.  They know of the issue but there isn't a fix yet.

Thanks again all.

I am trying the stand alone,but I think my anti-virus/windows defender is not allowing the programme to run,as it just flashes and closes down.

May have to look at disabling it.

Mick.

2 hours ago, astro mick said:

Thanks again all.

I am trying the stand alone,but I think my anti-virus/windows defender is not allowing the programme to run,as it just flashes and closes down.

Mick.

It doesn't run as a "programme" in the sense that you would associate one to run in Windows, Mick.  You basically just have a system folder once the programme is installed, and you carry out the starless functions by copying your .TIFF image to the folder.

It is a little bit different to get your head around, but the read me text file in the system folder does explain it.

In the Starnet folder where it is installed (normally called Starnet_Win) there is a file called run_rgb_starnet.bat 

You can open that file with an editor like notepad. Say you have done some processing on the fishhead nebula and saved it as fisheadstars.tif then copy it to the Starnet folder. Then edit the run_rgb_starnet.bat file so it looks like this

rgb_starnet++.exe fishheadstars.tif fishheadnostars.tif 64
pause  

Save the file and then just double click it. It will run in a command window and you will see it running. After a while it will say press any key to continue. There will be another file in the Starnet folder called fishheadnostars.tif and this will just have the data without stars.

If doing a mono file then edit the run_mono_starnet.bat instead.

Edited by TerryMcK

8 hours ago, astro mick said:

Thanks again all.

Mick.

If I double click the .exe file instead of the .bat, then it flashes and closes down.

To use it I copy my .tif into the same directory st Starnet++.

I rename my image to "in.tif", and double click the "run_rgb_starnet.bat" .

Afterwards, I copy "out.tif" bact to my image processing directory.

This is what is in my "run_rgb_starnet.bat":-

rgb_starnet++.exe in.tif out.tif 64
pause

I think your tif file might not be in 16 bit format.

If you saved it from Pixinsight then make sure you select the correct format when saving,  it gives you lots of options.

Only 16 bit works in Starnet.