Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3C 273 Jet??

Paul M

Having already assembled a rudimentary image of 3C 273...

image.thumb.png.3df49e8c4a03a9a269d7ec78a5bd0db6.png

...I've go to thinking about imaging the jet, or more precisely wandering if it's possible with amateur equipment. I know it's primarily a radio/X-ray feature but it does have an optical counterpart of significant extent.

SGL seems to have very little on the subject other than a thread from 2015 which pointed to forum where a group of Big Dobbers saw the jet visually!! In that case surely it's possible to image it, maybe use some kind of occulting bar to obscure the Quasar itself. 

I know, the horse has bolted for this year as the solstice turns night into day; I'm just planning/fantasising ahead and occupying my mind :)  

Anyone tried/failed/succeeded on this challenge?

If some claim to have seen it with big dobs than it's not just radio and X ray and definitely possible to image... but if only radio or xray make up the jets than I'd have my doubts... but there's only one way to find out..

14 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

but there's only one way to find out..

Indeed!

There is no harm in trying. But what a way for those poor, travel weary photons to end their cosmic journey; in my imaging train. They'll be thinking: "Really? We came all this way to be tortured ?!" 🤣

• Haha 2

On 05/06/2020 at 20:56, Paul M said:

Anyone tried/failed/succeeded on this challenge?

I'm going to guess it needs to be some serious amateur hardware. This is Hubble's version at 52,000mm focal length:

Best image of bright quasar 3C 273.jpg

I wouldn't even try it with my 12" RC at 2400mm. It would be only a few pixels long, if I could even get lucky enough to catch a few photons from it.

• Like 2

Yes, that would be quite a capture, seeing all those massively distant galaxies that have some discernible structure in the Hubble image makes you realise how tough it would be.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tomato said:

23” according to the Wikipedia entry.

Really?! That would mean I could capture 23 pixel long jet at bin 2. Are you sure it's that long? We're talking about an object 2.5 billion light years away. 

7 hours ago, Paul M said:

Indeed!

There is no harm in trying. But what a way for those poor, travel weary photons to end their cosmic journey; in my imaging train. They'll be thinking: "Really? We came all this way to be tortured ?!" 🤣

totrured??? or perhaps massaged into an image....

• Haha 1

If I have read the charts correctly it’s around 11” in the visible wavelengths? At that apparent size it might be worth going deep with the Esprit 150/ASI178s (0.47” per pixel unbinned), that would occupy 0.7% of the sensor’s length.

Something to look forward to in the Spring.

• Like 3

Just now, Paul M said:

Very impressive result. Not sure I'd get much of a result with my 250 Newt @ 1200mm f/l.

I think they must have very good seeing there too. I have looked at a few images of this 3C 273 jet and none come anywhere near close to theirs.

37 minutes ago, Star101 said:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/90973/0/

Taken with three C11's by a group. Then added together, I think....If the translation is correct. https://www.astrobin.com/65168/?nc=user

Dave.

Definitely on my hit list now for next Spring. I certainly won't have the ideal seeing conditions, but its got to be worth a go.👍

• Like 2

I just cropped and extreme stretched my original stack of 12 x 60s @ ISO 1600 subs.

Ok, nowhere near deep enough but it gives me confidence that all it needs is time, patience and perhaps a bigger image scale.

My guess is that some imagers out there will have the jet hidden in their old data without realising it.

image.png.9b9124c31cb493629df2e790dbf232d8.png

• Like 1