NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Painting a Skywatcher 9x50 Finder bracket

ScouseSpaceCadet

Being a bit useless at DIY, but deciding to customise a Star Discovery 150i tube, I would really appreciate advice from DIY pros.

Keeping with the red and black theme I've sourced black 182mm tube rings (took hours to find!) and a 21cm dovetail bar. The next purchase will be a TS-Optics 1.25" Crayford Focuser .

To top it off, for purely aesthetic reasons, I want to paint a white Skywatcher 9x50 finder bracket black. The white one will really spoil the job imho.

Can anyone please advise me what is the best paint to use would be and the method of application? Cheers. 

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

I'd guess sand it down to key the surface and then find a way to suspend it so you can paint the entire thing (remove screws and protect the threads first. Smooth out any dings and chips while keying/flatting the surface. Depending on the finish you want (gloss/matt etc) then most good spray enamel types should give a reasonable finish. Light coats every 20 mins ish so you don't get paint sags/runs, 3 to 6 coats maybe should do it and then let it cure, at least a few days or more.

Being an awkward shape will add to the challenge of getting it painted evenly and not run, been there with the TAL-M bits :( Hence light (very) coats and more of them will be best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks quite a job. Maybe someone will swap a black one for white?!🙄😀

I deffo will not be keeping it white, so thanks for the tips Dave.

Probably coming soon, 'How to remove black paint from carpet before missus notices?' and 'I can't fit a focuser' threads...

• Haha 3

My favourite spray paint for metal is Hycote Bumper Paint Black. It is so easy to get a perfect finish.  I use a good primer though. If you sand down to bare metal use an acid etch primer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hycote-Bumper-Paint-Black-400ml/dp/B003AVPLVO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Hycote+Bumper+Paint+Black+%2C+400ml&qid=1589988934&sr=8-1

Here’s an aluminium bracket I recently built and painted. 

6C0B1DD4-8B50-46C5-B2D6-3594846EA165.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have a washing line outside, thats perfect for hanging things from - was doing this earlier as a altair pier adaptor turned black

It also saves carpets and doesn't stink the house out :)

• Thanks 1

If this is what you need, you can have it for the price of postage, although I'm not sure when I will be able to get to a post office.  It's missing 2 screws, but has the springy thing.

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Oldfort said:

If this is what you need, you can have it for the price of postage, although I'm not sure when I will be able to get to a post office.  It's missing 2 screws, but has the springy thing.

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

Omg that is an amazing offer matey thanks!!!

😀😍👍

The screws are easy to come by so no probs.

PM me with a price please.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, omo said:

If you have a washing line outside, thats perfect for hanging things from - was doing this earlier as a altair pier adaptor turned black

It also saves carpets and doesn't stink the house out :)

till the better half hangs the washing out and wonders what the black lines are that won't come out 😮 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Oldfort said:

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

that's what I love about SGL. members helping others and some not in it for the profit but helping others good on you @Oldfort  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DaveL59 said:

till the better half hangs the washing out and wonders what the black lines are that won't come out 😮 

Just suspend things on strings from the line :)

knowing my luck here it'd be the sudden erruption of flying ants all stuck to it. Had that a couple years back with the bedding hanging outside. Got covered in them trying to shake them off, never used the line since.

2 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

knowing my luck here it'd be the sudden erruption of flying ants all stuck to it. Had that a couple years back with the bedding hanging outside. Got covered in them trying to shake them off, never used the line since.

hammerite finish springs to mind ….. or kind of

• Haha 1