NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How long before you get it right? 🤔

Greymouser

I was considering the other day, whilst browsing the TS website, considering changing the direction of my stable telescopes, as it were: Just how long will it take to get the final set up that will do it for me, for the rest of my time? From what I see here, from various threads, I am not alone. Some have it seems tried many, many different options, before settling on a final choice. Some seem to not be able to get there, or maybe just enjoy the novelty too much! ( @Stu springs to mind here in particular, though he is far from alone. )

I wonder am I just endlessly curious, wanting to try out something different, or is a final solution, ( optically, ) possible? How does everyone else consider this? Or indeed is this just no more than idle curiosity? Not sure what I am expecting really, maybe I just want some justification, to try out something new... :rolleyes2::smiley:

On a related note: Just what are the sensible limits on telescope aperture, considering the UK skies, Bortle 6 for me, for instance. I did consider my C9.25 to be at that limit, anything larger would be just wasted.

Edited by Greymouser

I hope I've reached a reasonable complement. ODK12 for galaxies and PN, 130 f/7 for wider field objects.

Megrez 90 for grab 'n' go plus eventually solar, and 180 mak-cass for planetary and lunar.

I may, however, buy one of the Sony IMX 455 based cameras, just waiting to see what Atik, Moravian, and SX come up with.

As far as aperture goes, I've topped out at 12", though there are those here with 14" SCTs, and one or two with 16" behemoths.

• Like 1

Being relatively new to astronomy it is my belief that we never stop learning so it would seem that we are always looking to improve our experience, which probably means we are never satisfied.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

I hope I've reached a reasonable complement. ODK12 for galaxies and PN, 130 f/7 for wider field objects.

I do wonder how relevant the " I hope " is in that sentence. :wink:

I suspect banjaxed has it right, we are never really satisfied, always trying to get that little bit more. Certainly I am not at the end of my journey and to be honest I hope I never am, there will always be one more telescope to try out. I have been long pondering the thought of a VX12L from Crewe and OOUK. :smiley:

I dread to think of all you imagers have to consider. A whole new range of possibilities that forever changes as tech improves endlessly. :rolleyes2:

For some, they love the optics and associated tech. They can't help trying new toys or having a good old tinker. Others are striving for perfection they will likely never achieve or eventually get there at great cost. There's the crew who just have to believe they have the best. It's their little treat for themselves like expensive trainers or a flash car is to others. Now and again a little ego boost probably.

I've been quite lucky, it hasn't taken too long to realise what my requirements are, and not having heaps of cash to spend on hobbies, found a balance. 

Lightweight, easily stored away, quick to set up, comfortable to use with a creaky lower back, low maintenance, cheap cut price bargains to build kit around and small enough to take away the whole lot to a dark site or star party should I be inclined.

A pair of 10x50 binoculars, 102mm Mak, 150/750 newtonian and a couple of mounts covers all bases. Newtonian bag in one hand, tripods/mounts/accessories bag in the other and Mak bag slung over a shoulder, the lot can be moved in one go. With a little sit down, sweat wiped away and a swig of water I'm good to go! 😆

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 3

Interesting topic yes no such thing as perfection as if there was be no room for improvements in first place we don,t all go beyond our means yet strive to reach our goals.thats just human nature unfortunately we always want more not for self gain or ego all depends where you want to go in life we strive tho on knowledge that’s the true gain and if mankind stopped at the moon no further space exploration will ever take place it’s not about optics,money etc it’s about reaching our goals admittedly that’s what makes each one of us unique as we all look at thing in a different perspectives and views and opinions are mixed that’s the passion of the hobby of Astronomy 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

Took me a few years but think I’m there abouts now 

That is good, but how many different setups have you tried and just how many years? To my mind, the problem is there are just so many options, always something better, if you have the budget that is. Out of my telescopes so far, I guess I have one I would not sell, but the others: meh...

Edit: They have all been interesting though!

:smiley:

Edited by Greymouser

For me personally the best scope for me is the sct cassagrain as optically very good with the Celestron HD series and Meade ACF series thay do most things well to a good standard and are the work horse of the Astronomy world however no such thing as a perfect scope that’s why some own many.howerver cannot stress enough in something of a good quality as standard no good putting cheap eyepieces in as you wouldn’t exspect a Ferrari to run very well with mini tyres on as the eyepieces is just as important as the scope itself 

24 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

That is good, but how many different setups have you tried and just how many years? To my mind, the problem is there are just so many options, always something better, if you have the budget that is. Out of my telescopes so far, I guess I have one I would not sell, but the others: meh...

Edit: They have all been interesting though!

:smiley:

Many and some more than once but I’ve been lucky with my purchases and Thirty  years of serious Astronomy lol 😂 

• Like 1

Hi for me anyway owning that perfect scope is a rare thing and that’s why some own a few or loads and it’s only by the mistakes we make we learn and adapt what is right for us.some get it right some get it wrong that’s the learning curve and  and mistakes are made unfortunately I’m the guilty party here as it’s only the mistakes you make is you learn and the true knowledge is granted to you over time.and it’s only human nature at times not to be satisfied and strive for perfection in what we do and yes also our hobbies.in yet saying that I would,nt never go beyond my means as once upon a time I used to change my scopes every few mths that is when it becomes an obsession and perhaps at times a £tad in healthy but now I’m 46 as thay say get older get wiser and a definitely a yes I can say I am.as reaching achievable goals in Astronomy is more so after time as you grow and learn is just to be satisfied even tho how hard it is.for exsample some spend £100 perhaps £1000 or even tens of thousands of pounds but at the end of the day I’m not willing to remortgage the house for or sell a kidney stroke arm and a leg for I’ve spent around £8000 time I’ve finished saying that tho it’s taken me a number of years to do it and get there.And lastly we all in the same boat here just searching for answers and exsploring the cosmos.