Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second time around

Richie092

Hi All

After 5 years away from the forum (but still popping in to see what you are all posting) I am going to get myself another set up.

I think the mistake I made last time was jumping straight in with mount, weights, scope, camera, filter wheel, filters, guiding scope & camera, heated dew shields and laptops. By the time I had everything unpacked, powered up and working it was either morning or cloudy!

I did get myself a couple of great images but I just never got out enough. We started our own business, got heavily in to that and before I knew it… it was 2020.

My plan this time is to get a great quality goto scope that I can carry outside wherever I am, switch on and be viewing within 15 minutes. Lazy bu**er I bet you are all thinking but if I don’t use it then it doesn’t matter what I buy. I am not too fussed about the imaging side although I think what I have in mind will scratch my itch as and when I feel the need – there is an excellent thread on here that proves it.

I think I have settled on the Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 EdgeHD with StarSense. Easy set up, good quality, fair price and can throw my Canon on the back for a couple of lunar shots if I feel the need.

I would like to know if anyone on here is using one for visual and what they think? Has anyone tried upgrading to Hyperstar for basic imaging? Lastly, the research I have done has suggested getting 2 or 3 upgraded eyepieces so some advice on those would be great too.

I look forward to reading your comments

The Celestron C8 SE is a very adequate visual scope so the Evolution Edge HD version should be even better.  The Starsense does save time and bother when setting up. From what I have read, the Hyperstar conversion is really not for 'basic' imaging, and once you have got it to work you will not want to swap between this and visual mode.

You will want some eyepiees to supplement what comes in the retail kit, and no doubt you willl get plenty of advice on this, but for a f10 scope the choice of eyepiece is not that critical.