NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginner looking for advice on accessories

Hi all

I am looking at buying a Skywatcher Explorer 130M and was wondering which 'essential' accessories I should be looking at to improve my experience.

I am also looking to attach my Samsung Galaxy S9+ to it, will any old adapter work or should I look at something specific.

I haven't used a telescope since I was a child (a good 25 years ago), so am a total beginner, please treat me as such!

Thanks in advance

This smsrtphone holder works really well and is cheap as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gosky-Binocular-Spotting-Smartphone-Adapter/dp/B075N8J438/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=smartphone+telescope+adapter&qid=1579774671&sr=8-22

The Celestron one is very easy to adjust although won’t work any better than the cheap one.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/celestron-nexyz-3-axis-universal-smartphone-adapter.html

Photos taken with the chaep holder.

77C6F79A-F34A-45F6-B4E1-86362EB90F7F.jpeg

A15AA748-9F4E-421F-8440-E4AD7085440A.jpeg

BA416A31-050E-4257-810F-507102ECD6D5.jpeg

• Like 2

Consider a red light torch, one with a dimmer is best as it will help preserve your night time adaptation when you're out there trying to see those really faint objects; one look at a regular white light (even a garden ornament) and it'll be gone.

Consider a dew shield (dew heaters probably not necessary for that size of scope).

Good pair of gloves, a very warm hat, thick warm socks and three or more layers of warm clothing for winter observing.  Don't forget the snacks and something to drink, once out there you don't want to be going back inside to the bright lights and warmth unless absolutely necessary.  For one, you might not want to go back outside!

Garden table and chair; putting stuff on the grass isn't good if it can be avoided (usually they get covered in dew or frost, which will then melt once inside and make everything wet).

A beginner's guide on what to observe, a planisphere, and a pair of 10x50 binoculars.

A compass so that you know where North is (you should point the N leg of the tripod at Polaris, a compass and planisphere will help you find it).

A flight case with pluck foam to keep your eyepieces and other accessories in, it's good to keep optics safe and dry when not in use, and also when outside in the cold to keep dew and frost off them until they're needed (keep the case lid closed).  To start out with you may only have a couple of eyepieces but over time the collection of bits and pieces will grow.  I tend to look out for aluminium cases at car boot sales (although when they'll next happen is anyone's guess, check eBay etc), I have a couple of repurposed 'vanity' cases which are almost identical to a flight case but are usually square or upright and smaller, they can make excellent eyepiece cases, just need to clean out any makeup residue!

You might also want to make a small checklist - things that you need to take out with you, procedure for setup and tear-down (e.g. turn off red dot finder - so easy to forget and next time find the battery is flat).  Consider also making a list of things that you want to observe in your next session, based on what's up and visible to your scope (check Stellarium, Star Walk or some other app before heading out).

Edited by jonathan
  • Like 1

welcome aboard :)

As per above really, staying warm is key or sessions get uncomfortable and really test your enthusiasm. Also worth looking at what apps are useful for your phone/tablet, to assist aligning the mount and determining whats up in the sky to go search for. Stellarium, SkyView, polar aligner pro as examples.

Funny though, I always figured the most important essential was an understanding and flexible bank manager...

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information, a good bit to get me started! I'm glad I am starting out towards the summer!

I have read about collimation, is this something I will need to do or should it be ok out of the box? 

Thanks again

The Skywatcher 130M has a focal ratio of F/6.9 so is not particularly demanding with regards to collimation. If it gets a bump sometime it will need to be checked and possibly adjusted. The cheshire eyepiece is a good tool for that task:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/astro-essentials-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

I suspect the 130M will be pretty good "out of the box" though.

Thanks. My wife ordered a moon filter to come with the 130m and have just now ordered a light pollution filter. 

I shall have a look into the telrad and finderscope once I am setup and familiar enough with the equipment.