SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC3718

CCD Imager

This faint galaxy group high in Ursa Major is a struggle from a semi-rural site, i.e. my back garden, I totalled around 15 hours of data. Other astrophotographs show a predominantly blue galaxy except for the center, but using Astrodon true colour filters and APP's calibrate star colours, my version shows very little blue. C'est la vie!

Taken with a SW Esprit 150mm and ASI 183 camera. With a pixel scale of 0.47 arc sec/pixel, high resolution imaging is possible with relatively small scopes.

I do think this galaxy group is very attractive and infrequently photographed, so pleased to get something a bit dfferent.

NGC3718-LRGB.jpg

Edited by CCD Imager
spelling
  • Like 22

4 hours ago, Shibby said:

Hi! There's a lot to love about this image. Really nice, fine detail showing off a great field of interesting galaxies. Perhaps your colour is the more genuine one? :)

Shibby, Thanks and I agree about the colours :)

On 28/04/2020 at 14:04, CCD Imager said:

Other astrophotographs show a predominantly blue galaxy except for the center, but using Astrodon true colour filters and APP's calibrate star colours, my version shows very little blue.

Yes, someone else posted a very blue version recently which looks fantastic but your version is probably much closer to reality. I enjoy seeing both versions but I wish more of the exaggerated images were labelled as such.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies

8 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Yes, someone else posted a very blue version recently which looks fantastic but your version is probably much closer to reality. I enjoy seeing both versions but I wish more of the exaggerated images were labelled as such.

Photoshop is so powerful these days, that almost any colour balance can be achieved. The astro imager, aka artist, can portray whatever he/she wishes. I do think that  audiences are more wowed by high colour saturation driving this type of processing.

• Like 1