Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My coordinates help.

Hi guys I'm in need of some help of I may.

I've just purchased the SW 200p felxtube synscan goto. I'm struggling to enter the coordinations correctly I think. 

When I look on sky view (free app) it tells me my location in a different way to what the synscan is telling me.ill try to send a few pics over to give a better understanding of what I mean.cheers guys.hope you can help me 

15878819589473212104321448777701.jpg

15878820149729049860658469234873.jpg

Hi guys I'm in need of some help of I may.

I've just purchased the SW 200p felxtube synscan goto. I'm struggling to enter the coordinations correctly I think. 

When I look on sky view (free app) it tells me my location in a different way to what the synscan is telling me.ill try to send a few pics over to give a better understanding of what I mean.cheers guys.hope you can help me 

Screenshot_20200426-072116_Gallery.jpg

1 minute ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Hello Stevie, by my rough calculation 113 degrees west and 53 north would put you somewhere in north Alberta Canada.

If you are in Nottingham it should be around 1.3 degrees west.

Hi Geoff thankyou for quick reply.ive got the coordinates from my garden.i just not sure how to enter them.

Screenshot_20200426-072116_Gallery.jpg

If you have an android phone look for an app called synscanit (there is probably an apple version alternative), it will take you through setting the synscan controller up and give you the coordinates in the right format.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Just enter 1.13 degrees for your longitude and you should be good to go.

As JonC says, the Synscan app is much simpler to use if you have the Wi Fi dongle accessory.

But theres no . To add the 1.13 

If you can stand another £50, get the synscan wifi adapter and download the synscan app [pro for eq mounts] Does all the setup for you and is alot easier controlling the scope from your phone than the handset. I found it was anyway.

• Like 1

For free on a smart phone get the application syncaninit. It will give you a screen listing all the settings you need to enter. The purpose of this app is to help you enter the right data to set up your handset.

This is a free application and is nothing to do with the skywatcher synscan application which is also free but needs the wifi dongle. The purpose of that application is because the wifi dongle replaces the handset. I have both and use the handset all the time in preference to the wifi dongle.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2020 at 08:07, Philip. said:

If you can stand another £50, get the synscan wifi adapter and download the synscan app [pro for eq mounts] Does all the setup for you and is alot easier controlling the scope from your phone than the handset. I found it was anyway.

I'm using the dob mount. 

On 26/04/2020 at 09:15, steppenwolf said:

From memory, the SynScan hand controller only needs Degrees and Minutes so for your location, you would enter the following:-

53 9 N
1 13 W

Again, from memory the N and W are selection boxes.

Yes I got 53 9 N and 114 w 

As noted above you need the app synscan init 2.0 then turn on the GPS on the phone and enter in the data that Synscan init gives you for every entry in the set.  My strongest piece of advice is include the leading zeros and remember that the Lat/Long data needs to be entered in just the one specific format as per the synscan init 2.0 app.   In addition the dates are in the American format, but the app will even present that information in the correct format.  Just enter exactly what it gives you in exactly the same format and it should def. help.

On 28/04/2020 at 10:37, JOC said:

As noted above you need the app synscan init 2.0 then turn on the GPS on the phone and enter in the data that Synscan init gives you for every entry in the set.  My strongest piece of advice is include the leading zeros and remember that the Lat/Long data needs to be entered in just the one specific format as per the synscan init 2.0 app.   In addition the dates are in the American format, but the app will even present that information in the correct format.  Just enter exactly what it gives you in exactly the same format and it should def. help.

Yes I'm going for it tonight if the clouds stay away. Do I have to add the elevation level ast its saying 150m?

20 minutes ago, stevie1980 said:

Do I have to add the elevation level ast its saying 150m?

There is a place for it in the handset, and yes, I generally enter what the synscan init 2.0 says, so yes, I would be inclined to enter 150m.

3 hours ago, JOC said:

There is a place for it in the handset, and yes, I generally enter what the synscan init 2.0 says, so yes, I would be inclined to enter 150m.

Well just set it up about 2 hours ago.nothing much to look at apart from the moon. Got a couple of shots.nothing amazing by any means but its tracking.was just slightly out.had to centre it.thanks for your help.amazing bunch of people.

Because its not precisely true imaging qulity tracking it will, in the finish, drift, but I reckon you can easily keep things reasonably on target for a good 20 mins or so, before needing to re-centre.  Hope you have fun with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JOC said:

Because its not precisely true imaging qulity tracking it will, in the finish, drift, but I reckon you can easily keep things reasonably on target for a good 20 mins or so, before needing to re-centre.  Hope you have fun with it.

I'm loving it. Just want to do some DSO when I get my 450d back from being modded.but I'm told theres nothing to see here at the mo regarding nebulas or galaxy that I can do a few exps with. I'm still very much new to astronomy. Cheers.

Steve