Help Please - Hard/Protective case for EQ6-Pro

AntHart

Hi,

I’m looking for a hard protective case for my EQ6 pro mount for when I’m transporting it. 
Just for the mount ‘head’...not weight and tripod.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, as a massive favour, anyone who has this mount...would you please be able to measure it for me (LxWxH)...I don’t have my mount at home at the moment.

id imagine it’s roughly the same size as the EQ6-R / NEQ6.

If anyone can help me out I’d appreciate it no end :) 

Ant

1 hour ago, LongJohn54 said:

I used a Pele 1600 case when I transported my NEQ6 around.  Other similar cases were just a bit too small.  Take a look at this old thread, last couple of posts at the bottom -

Thanks for the reply mate :) I’m not sure I could swallow £200 on a case, sure it’s pretty much indestructible but I think I’ll end up looking elsewhere/diff brand...maybe even go the DIY route with something like a musicians flight case and cut some foam to suit.

If I find anything suitable for cheaper would you mind me hijacking your post to let guys know...it’s a very popular post by looks of things.

Cheers

I am using an old carry-on sized suit case for my mount, both for storage and transport.   It's kind of an intermediate between a soft case and a hard case.  Allows me to roll it and the case itself is light weight.  Possibly not as good as a really hard case, but I just didn't want all the extra weight that would come with that, and it protects adequately for my needs.  If you are looking for something harder perhaps a second-hand heavy duty plastic suit case that you could then apply foam or padding to inside?

atlas-mount-case.jpg

• Like 1

I have a problem with the £200 price tags too .... 🥴

You need to be mindful of the weight of the EQ6 when thinking of flight cases though, there are so many around now that look the part, but are quite flimsy.  Even a medium quality one for a musical instrument may not be up to the weight.

I made my EQ6 case from a "Peli" type case bought from CPC Farnell - https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=waterproof case

It was under £50 and very strong, with handles and catches to match.

I don't use foam inserts for things that are very heavy as they tend to sag, and the box is often much bigger than neccessary to give a reasonable thickness of padding around it.

Instead, I use the simple method of adding a plywood base plate with carefully spaced vertical wooden separators covered with foam rubber sheet  (cut from a cheapo yoga mat).

eq6 case.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/04/2020 at 09:18, Astro-Geek said:

You need to be mindful of the weight of the EQ6 when thinking of flight cases though, there are so many around now that look the part, but are quite flimsy.  Even a medium quality one for a musical instrument may not be up to the weight.

I made my EQ6 case from a "Peli" type case bought from CPC Farnell - https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=waterproof case

I don't use foam inserts for things that are very heavy as they tend to sag, and the box is often much bigger than neccessary to give a reasonable thickness of padding around it.

Instead, I use the simple method of adding a plywood base plate with carefully spaced vertical wooden separators covered with foam rubber sheet  (cut from a cheapo yoga mat).

eq6 case.jpg

Ooo I like that!!!! Spot on mate thank you 😁

On 21/04/2020 at 09:17, Scoobs767 said:

I am using an old carry-on sized suit case for my mount, both for storage and transport.   It's kind of an intermediate between a soft case and a hard case.  Allows me to roll it and the case itself is light weight.  Possibly not as good as a really hard case, but I just didn't want all the extra weight that would come with that, and it protects adequately for my needs.  If you are looking for something harder perhaps a second-hand heavy duty plastic suit case that you could then apply foam or padding to inside?

atlas-mount-case.jpg

I really have got my heart set on a hard case mate but thank you very much for posting 😁

eq6 case.jpg

Don’t suppose you know the size of the one you bought do you mate? That link throws up 80 of them!ha

ive not got my mount here to measure it so if you could help me out that would be brilliant 😁

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've only just noticed this thread again.

I'll measure it in the morning and reply with the details.

It's the old type EQ6 and I should add that I wanted to use the smallest size that would fit, so I made the counterbalance bar easily removable, as it extended out quite a bit, even when fully retracted up against the Puck.  ( I'm not sure if it's an extra long one or standard one.)

You can see it in the photo, at the hinge end of the case.

1 hour ago, Astro-Geek said:

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've only just noticed this thread again.

I'll measure it in the morning and reply with the details.

It's the old type EQ6 and I should add that I wanted to use the smallest size that would fit, so I made the counterbalance bar easily removable, as it extended out quite a bit, even when fully retracted up against the Puck.  ( I'm not sure if it's an extra long one or standard one.)

You can see it in the photo, at the hinge end of the case.

Mines the old EQ6-pro synscan..about 8yrs old. Bought it 2nd hand but she’s aged well ;) My puck from memory looks about the same as yours.

Im actually planning on using a polemaster/ipolar so thinking of removing the original polar scope completely..no need for the end cap then and maybe bit of room for padding instead.

Its mainly just going to be used for ‘safer transportation’ not take any rough handling.

Thsts something else I’ve been wondering..do you transport yours with the clutches loose so it has a bit of ‘wiggle’ or keep them tight and the mount ridged? I’d imagine loose as puts no stress on it from vibrations/pot holes!ha 

Thanks for your help with this mate 👍🏼

Yes, sounds like the same as mine, the older type of EQ6 Pro with Synscan.

Here's some more photos of the case with dimensions and the base lifted out.

Internal width (side to side) is 505mm and depth (front to back) is 355mm, so it was a DURATOOL   D03134

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03134/water-resistant-case-569x425x215mm/dp/SG33494?ost=D03134&ddkey=https%3Aen-CPC%2FCPC_United_Kingdom%2Fsearch

Still at £47 including VAT.  It comes with a cubed foam insert, but I used that with something else, because the EQ6 is far too heavy to be held securely with this type of foam, especially in the pre-cut cubed form.

My EQ6 Pro fits quite snugly in there, but I must stress again, that is with the counterweight bar removed and stored separately in the case, because it didn't retract enough.  To do that, you could either loosen the grubscrews that hold the Puck, or what I did was to simply drill a 25mm hole through the centre of the base of the Puck, so that the counterweight bar could be pulled right out from that end.  (It has a shoulder at the top end to prevent it being accidentally pulled right out of the bottom end).

The pictures also show my "heavy duty" 🤓 shoulder strap attachment points, because I find it much easier to carry the weight that way, especially down a staircase.

baseplate.jpg

closed.jpg

depth.jpg

open.jpg

strap.jpg

width.jpg

Edited by Astro-Geek
typos again...
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Astro-Geek said:

Yes, sounds like the same as mine, the older type of EQ6 Pro with Synscan.

Here's some more photos of the case with dimensions and the base lifted out.

Internal width (side to side) is 505mm and depth (front to back) is 355mm, so it was a DURATOOL   D03134

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03134/water-resistant-case-569x425x215mm/dp/SG33494?ost=D03134&ddkey=https%3Aen-CPC%2FCPC_United_Kingdom%2Fsearch

Still at £47 including VAT.  It comes with a cubed foam insert, but I used that with something else, because the EQ6 is far too heavy to be held securely with this type of foam, especially in the pre-cut cubed form.

My EQ6 Pro fits quite snugly in there, but I must stress again, that is with the counterweight bar removed and stored separately in the case, because it didn't retract enough.  To do that, you could either loosen the grubscrews that hold the Puck, or what I did was to simply drill a 25mm hole through the centre of the base of the Puck, so that the counterweight bar could be pulled right out from that end.  (It has a shoulder at the top end to prevent it being accidentally pulled right out of the bottom end).

The pictures also show my "heavy duty" 🤓 shoulder strap attachment points, because I find it much easier to carry the weight that way, especially down a staircase.

baseplate.jpg

closed.jpg

depth.jpg

open.jpg

strap.jpg

width.jpg

That’s absolutely brilliant mate! Thank you so much for this 😁

eq6 case.jpg

Nice case and well adapted.   Sadly it was not available all those years ago or I would have saved some cash and bought it too. 

For anyone interested,

I ordered the case from CPC yesterday and it arrived today.

First impressions...seems really solid, good quality hinges and locking tabs, foam padding seems decent quality too.

Ill post some photos once I’ve got it made 👍🏼👍🏼

• Like 2