SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Connecting my telescope via EQMOD cable and EQASCOM to my PC

Hello everyone, hopefully this is the right place to ask :)

I'm getting an headache trying to get my telescope to work with NINA, since I can't even get past the EQASCOM setup process!

First of all, this is a list of the equipment I'm using:

• SkyWatcher EQ-6 PRO
  • EQMOD cable I got from amazon (Amazon link here). This connects directly into my mount, no need for the remote
  • USB over ethernet extender to connect the cable to my pc (not factoring this inot the equation, since I'm having the same problems even when connecting the eqmod cable directly to my pc)

I've been scouring the internet for solutions, so here's what I'm currintly dealing with:

• I connected the EQMOD cable from my mount to my pc (the pc does the "device inserted" sound, so it definitely works)
  • I checked to see that my cable gets recognized in device manager (it does, but not under "PORTS." It's shown under "Other devices," as you can see here—"FT232R USB UART")
  • I run EQASCOM as administrator and check "register" on both eqmod and eqmod sim (success!)
  • I go to "SETUP," choose eqmod and then driver setup
  • Set my options as following (I tried changing polling rate a couple of times for the next step)
  • I close the window after setting my location and try to "ASCOM Connect" but I keep getting the "Connect error: Port not available" error
  • I tried the step above with ALL COM ports, but to no avail
  • I tried checking comm stats, but I keep getting this on all of them

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed? I've watched tens of videos and read many posts, but I'm still at a loss as to what I should do...

Is my cable faulty by any chance?

Edited by Gumminess8083
more info

It's been a while since I set my stuff up so I will be guessing a bit. My thoughts:

• The USB does seem to be connected OK - I get a similar name for the cable.
  • Have you got the latest Ascom platform
  • Have you installed the drivers for the mount? The fact that you are getting a port not available suggests there might be an issue with this.

Just some thoughts - my money is on the drivers...

35 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

It's been a while since I set my stuff up so I will be guessing a bit. My thoughts:

• The USB does seem to be connected OK - I get a similar name for the cable.
  • Have you got the latest Ascom platform
  • Have you installed the drivers for the mount? The fact that you are getting a port not available suggests there might be an issue with this.

Just some thoughts - my money is on the drivers...

Thanks for your reply!

• I do have the lastes ASCOM platform installed (both ASCOM Diagnostics and Profile Explorer)
  • Where would I go to find my mount's drivers? I found  this page, and the first link seems to be referring to my mount, but the link sends me to a download page for another program (GSS, Green Swamp Server)

36 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Set your baud rate to 9600 

When you check the properties of Com 3 does it show it as an ftdi controller? 

I've tried setting my baud rate to all values to no avail already :(

This is what I see when I inspect the connection in device manager

Should I maybe try and plug the cable in the back of my pc instead of the front? Doubt that'd change much...

Just now, Gumminess8083 said:

I've tried setting my baud rate to all values to no avail already :(

This is what I see when I inspect the connection in device manager

Should I maybe try and plug the cable in the back of my pc instead of the front? Doubt that'd change much...

Now check the properties for Com 3 in device manager. 

Just now, Anthonyexmouth said:

Now check the properties for Com 3 in device manager. 

Here you go :)

As you can see, unfortunately the COM 3 port is greyed out and not connected, since my cable is recognized as FT232R (aka, when I unplug and plug the cable back in, that is the device that gets disconnected and then connected again)

2 minutes ago, Gumminess8083 said:

Here you go :)

As you can see, unfortunately the COM 3 port is greyed out and not connected, since my cable is recognized as FT232R (aka, when I unplug and plug the cable back in, that is the device that gets disconnected and then connected again)

If you can only see Com 3 in the list of com ports then it looks like a driver issue. 

Just now, Anthonyexmouth said:

Have you installed the ASCOM platform?

https://ascom-standards.org/

Yup, both ASCOM Profile Explorer, ASCOM Diagnostics, and EQASCOM (plus the drivers for my camera, as I cannot find any specific drivers for my mount)

Edit: oh, and the Prolific drivers, despite my cable not being recognized as Prolific

Edited by Gumminess8083

4 minutes ago, Gumminess8083 said:

Yup, both ASCOM Profile Explorer, ASCOM Diagnostics, and EQASCOM (plus the drivers for my camera, as I cannot find any specific drivers for my mount)

you dont need mount drivers. 

I think you have a ftdi driver issue. your com port properties should mention the FTDI device.

com3.png.4c8af6d5888cac76cdd9348d75a8d5ae.png

14 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

you dont need mount drivers. 

I think you have a ftdi driver issue. your com port properties should mention the FTDI device.

com3.png.4c8af6d5888cac76cdd9348d75a8d5ae.png

OH WOW!

I think you might have just solved my problem!

I just downloaded the FTDI drivers update and BAM, image.png.ab087adc06aee14fcc0240c00f7e6327.png

The port is now recognized!

I'll try and see if I can get the mount to work and report back.

Thank you :)

• Like 1