Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10ft x 6ft shed into run off roof obsy

Nigella Bryant

Hi all, just completed my run of roof observatory and warm room/solar hut. Used an existing 10ft x 6ft shed. 

I've had to wait to collect my 2.7m pulsar dome from where I used to live because of the corona virus outbreak but decided the shed would make a great solar observatory. At the moment it contains my two 70mm refractors and neq6 along with unmounted 12inch newtononian which is to big for the run off roof but will go back in the dome whenever that happens. 

IMG_20200416_145148.jpg

IMG_20200416_145044.jpg

IMG_20200416_150231.jpg

IMG_20200416_144422.jpg

IMG_20200416_145452.jpg

IMG_20200416_145452.jpg

IMG_20200416_150209.jpg

IMG_20200416_145430.jpg

IMG_20200416_145441.jpg

IMG_20200416_145406.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I wondered how the slope was going to be resolved, a very neat method indeed.
Will this same base be used for the dome or is the plan for 2 observatories?

Hiya Alan, I'm planning on the two observatories. The rof will be solely for solar and the dome for the night with the 12inch newtononian. Same structure for the base for the dome is planned on the slope. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Phase two will be the building of the base and pilar ready for the dome. Not sure when that will happen as it's hard getting on builders merchants websites at the moment due to the lock down. 

All my local ones shut down fully and most remain so.
Quite rightly they need to to protect the employees, my ballast and cement needs as well as timber ones can wait.

Great that you will have two observatories.

50 minutes ago, Alan White said:

All my local ones shut down fully and most remain so.
Quite rightly they need to to protect the employees, my ballast and cement needs as well as timber ones can wait.

Great that you will have two observatories.

Yeah, closed here to, as you say, quite rightly too. The stars will still be there whenever I finish the project. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Yes Jeremy, one needs one for solar and one for night time use, lol. 

Well, people do say you can never have enough observatories.

Or is that “telescopes”?

Or both?

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Or is that “telescopes”?

Or both?

🙂

I tried to limit the number of observatories by putting three piers in one :D

I still had the electrician run power cabling run to a second potential site when he was last here though...

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I tried to limit the number of observatories by putting three piers in one :D

I still had the electrician run power cabling run to a second potential site when he was last here though...

James

Funnily enough, my observing pad just so happens to be big enough for 2 piers, clearly not planned 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Funnily enough, my observing pad just so happens to be big enough for 2 piers, clearly not planned 😉

I’m sure the intent of the planning permission you were recently granted, Alan, was for 2 piers.

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Or is that “telescopes”?

Or both?

🙂

The answer the that question is clearly the equation N+1 where N = the number of telescopes/ observatories currently owned.

Alternatively the equation S-1 also applies, where S equals the number of telescopes/ observatoreis that would result in the observers significant other kicking them out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

The answer the that question is clearly the equation N+1 where N = the number of telescopes/ observatories currently owned.

Alternatively the equation S-1 also applies, where S equals the number of telescopes/ observatoreis that would result in the observers significant other kicking them out.

So N+1 = current telescopes /observatories and S-1 is a significant factor then it remains N+1 or N+2. However if S+1 is also variable then N+1 and N+2 becomes variable too. S+1 is unknown until tested however and if tested you must know the extent of dark matter or energy that could or could not be exerted. This unknown quantity of S+1+M/E is crucial before testing the N+1/2. That was my equation which worked in my favour. So the N+1/2 had more momentum than the S+1+M/E and hence more N+1/2 that could be acquired and built. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
More content added.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1