Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12” ZEN maksutov insulation first impression

After much thought I double wrapped the zen in an reflective insulation to reduce the thermal issues that come with these large maksutovs , I was very surprised with the results !

so from bringing the scope from house to garden a difference of 12 degrees centigrade was noted ,  and it took 15 min set up the scope , I thought it would need say 1 or 2 hours to get thermally stable ,

But I was wrong I put in a 7 mm Pentax and had a quick look at the moon and was blown away from the image stable ! No thermal plumes from baffles at intra focus incredible ! It works simple , effective,cheap, easy to do so if you do have a maksutov or even a Cassegrain try this simple idea , that will now transform the waiting time for these scopes to acquire thermal stability 

69BB1BE4-3743-451E-A76C-37116CC0DBAB.jpeg

9B8057A7-A061-4EBA-965F-8FD00CD3778A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've not seen much talk about doing this for a few years now, but it's something I definitely want to try myself with my C9.25.  I might go for it with the MN190, too.

James

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just followed a long conversation on the CN Forum, from a couple of years ago, about this subject. Conclusion was some liked it, some didn't.

Did you remove the dovetail, or closely tuck in around it? I'd rather not try and remove mine on a Skymax 180Pro....

A worthy experiment to try, if I can find some insulation. I know I have some expanding foam :chuckles: