Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observers chair. Quandary - recommendations

Telescope40

Hello all. Bout time I bought a proper usable chair for my observing sessions. 
Got 3 listed below that I have seen.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-nadira-astronomy-observing-chair.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-observing-chairs/sky-watcher-anti-tip-observing-chair.html

Last option is the ironing board chair. Adjustable type. 

Criteria is that I observe on the decking in the garden but often on the lawn, which has a slope in certain areas. Happy to put a piece of boarding down to help with steadiness. 

Love the Geoptik Nadira. However. Think would have to attach a wooden bar to it to help with lawn use on a slope,  as would guess I’d end up bracing myself as not to tip. Not a biggie to mod. 
The Skywatcher looks ok but on reading the info the seat does not lie flat for storage. Not the best. 
The ironing chair I have seen in members posts that I have read. 

Any musing on this would be gratefully received and / or any other chairs that peeps have had good service from. 
Thanks in advance. John 

On 03/04/2020 at 17:35, Supernova74 said:

Good afternoon Jeremy fingers crossed I get some clear nights over the wk-end are you still looking for suggestions for observers chairs that will not break the bank!?

It was the OP that was asking about chairs. I already have one thanks.

I actually use one of these. Bought it from the range for about £30 a few years back. Works great on my decking and hard surfaces. not tried on lawn though. Padded, so very comfortable and height obviously adjustable although not low enough if your using a frac at zenith, but then, you're into camping mat territory really 🙂

77554_large.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn’t recommend the Skywatcher one as it has a nasty habit of sliding right down unexpectedly if you lift the front edge accidentally when repositioning. More than once I have ended up virtually on the floor! I do still use it for quick perching requirements but prefer my wooden one, not sure of the make.

The Geoptik or Berlebach ones will both do the job nicer I’m sure.

I use a drummer's stool.  It has three fold-away legs with rubber feet, some height adjustment, very sturdy, and no chance of accidentally falling off.  Good for use with long refractors or a large SCT.  I find reflecting telescopes don't usually need a chair if set up for a standing position.

Edited by jonathan