SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ EQ6 GT both axis no response?

Adrian Celija

Hello, 

I own SW  AZ eq6 gt, SW eq3 and SW alt/az goto. Everything was fine with my eq6 and working properly.  Few days before, I decided to try connect eq6 via Eqdirect/ascom/eqascom to my laptop, but my laptop couldn't recognize it, although I checed houndred of times COM port etc. Then I decided to try to connect it via RS232 and V3 HC and "PC DIRECT MODE" and I succeded, used stellarium and everythying looks promising. Later I tried to conect it again to see how to set up PHD2 but I couldn't do it. After I shut dowm the power of eq6 and tride and power it again, without conection to laptop I got message "CAUTON....BOTH AXIS NO RESPONSE".

I tried several times to start it normaly but no success. I changed the power adapter, tried to put in on power tank etc and nothing happen. However I could enter in V3 HC menu and read voltage and it was 12.2V. Then I decided to try V3 HC from eq3 and same message same voltage 12.2V. Then I tried V4 HC from small alt/az mount and eq6 was working normally, although voltage in V4 was 8.4V. My conclusion was that both V3 HC are broken for some reason.

"But how can that happen that both of them are gone at same time"? I was suspicious.....  maybe V3 HC are ok......?

Next day I decided to try both V3 HC on eq3 and guess what, they were working normally. I tried again them on eq6 but same thing "both axis no response".

The only thing that I didn't change in all those trying and testing was power cable that connect mount and power adapter, because I have only one. Picture in attachment.

Also when tried to connect to ASCOM with rs232/HC and "PC DIRECT MODE" I got message "connect error....Timeout". Tutorial which I used to setup ASCOM conection says that this message comes if there is no power on insuficent power.

So I suspect that power cable for some reason doesn't provide more than 12.2V and that HC V4 don't need more than 8.4V.???? Maybe just maybe.....

To make thing more clear for advices I also put last firmwares in both V3. So they are updated.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Many Thanks

Adrian

cable.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you check the voltage using a separate multimeter ? Some v3 handsets display a higher voltage than is present. This can be fixed by uploading a special firmware that corrects the problem. This firmware update should only be applied to handsets that display the incorrect voltage.

Peter, 

Thanks for quick reply. I will try to check the voltage latter when I get the multimeter, I escaped to village due to virus so I will not be able to check it i next few hours untill I get it. Can you give me the name of that special firmware or a link? I will try to do it with first one that gave me this message.

many thanks

44 minutes ago, Adrian Celija said:

Peter, 

Thanks for quick reply. I will try to check the voltage latter when I get the multimeter, I escaped to village due to virus so I will not be able to check it i next few hours untill I get it. Can you give me the name of that special firmware or a link? I will try to do it with first one that gave me this message.

many thanks

The firmware fix is a the bottom of this page. It should only be used if the handset is reporting an incorrect voltage. The handset will then need to be reflashed with the Synscan firmware to complete the update. 

Peter just output voltage, no load, I can not move motors with the handset which gives me mesagge " caution......both axes no response". 

Kev, once you turn on power, first is initilaizing, after that if everything is ok, handset goes in mode to ask you if you want to go in eq or az mode.

I do not get there, only that stupid message.

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

is the handset cable ok? not owning an EQ6 but I have read comments here before about the cable causing issues. If you have another that you can swap to try that would eliminate the cable.

Logic says that cable is ok if mount is working with V4 handset, but of course I can not be sure. I have two cables and both tried and same thing occured, then I test both of them on eq3 with "problem handset V3" and both respond normally as well as V3 handset.  Is there any kind of reset of motherboard? Al this problems started after I disconect handset from PC, maybe motherboard or even handset stucked in some kind of boot or loop- not an expert just thinking out loud

Edited by Adrian Celija

I managed to connect mount with pc only first time, via "pc direct mode" set on handset  and rs232 with usb adaptor for rs232. I have also Prolific "HITEECASTRO" eqdirect cable(rj45/usb) but never manage to connect it.  After disconecting form first successul atempt everything went wrong and can not get rid of that message on HC.......both axis no response..........

Personally, I'd put the handset away and connect the mount directly to the PC using the adaptor.

BUT, having said that, as you are using a Prolific based device, you could well have issues with it if the Prolific chip isn't genuine or you are using a new'ish driver. In both cases you will see the same symptoms you describe.

I believe the driver to use  is "PL2303_DriverInstaller_v1180_20170406" which should then allow a connection. I used to use Prolific devices, but because of the issues you are seeing, I've moved onto using FTDI adaptors, which just work, even if the chips are clones.

I make up my own adaptors using these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-Serial-adapt-module-USB-TO-TTL-RS232-Arduino-Cable-6Pin-xe/233513335661 and either fit or rewire an RJ45 standard network cable. 

On 23/03/2020 at 19:06, Adrian Celija said:

I tried today one more thing...............I start the mount with the wifi synscan anb mobile aplication and worked normally. Only with the v3 handset I can not go further....... 

I never used my handset again when i started using this. If the mount is working with this then it implies the fault is with the handset or cable (in my none expert none electrical opinion)

32 minutes ago, m.tweedy said:

I never used my handset again when i started using this. If the mount is working with this then it implies the fault is with the handset or cable (in my none expert none electrical opinion)

Many thanks for reply, for some reason v3 HC is not working on eq6 but the same cable the same v3 HC works without problem on eq3........that is what confuse me............on the other side, if something is wrong with the motherborard (conection, power etc) on eq6,  than even v4 wouldn't work...........but it is working normally on eq6............very strange..........however there is one thing, now I can not even connect to pc/ascom via "pc direct mode" selected on working v4 HC.............I get two messages. "connect error port not available" or connect error "timeout" ................I am completely frustrated.......

There are differences between a v3 handset for the EQ3 & AZ EQ6, and they are NOT interchangeable, I know as I also have both types of mount... 

It's another reason I only keep the handsets in a draw for sentimental reasons...

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

There are differences between a v3 handset for the EQ3 & AZ EQ6, and they are NOT interchangeable, I know as I also have both types of mount... 

It's another reason I only keep the handsets in a draw for sentimental reasons...

So that was mine concern, if that is so, I can not use V4 for small alt/az on eq6 although is working?

Yes, I do it all the time, when I use that mount, at star parties, or some ad-hoc solar imaging, all easily controlled via either a Windows computer, and even using a Rock64Pro running Indi\Ekos. ..

Julian thanks,  few minutes ago I connected without a problem pc/ascom with eq3.....but through pc direct mode....one question,  link that you gave me for the driver for eqidrect few post above is this one: "PL2303_DriverInstaller_v1180_20170406".......but I can not find it for downlload, please can you give me link for downlload? Just want to make sure that I tried every possible solution before I order FTDI eqdirect