Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Identifying Moving Object In NGC2903 Images

The-MathMog

Hey there

I was out with my scope for the first time this years and was imaging the galaxy NGC2903 in LRGB. When I was stacking the RGB images, I noticed that one of the stars didn't properly align, and can now see that it is a very slowly moving object.
I am not sure how I can identify what object it is?
I can't find anything in Stellarium that shows up in that period, so anyone of you that can help? Loosely comparing it to other stars, it appears to be like +14 magnitude

It was imaged from around CET 01:43 to 02:28 in this GIF:

NGC-2903-Moving-Object-.thumb.gif.fd3074bde80eecd5960c91f0a2299416.gif169480448_NGC2903MovingObject.thumb.png.04588ddca89ef6a091df866620eb418b.png

It probably also appeared in the light frames that I took previously to this, but I haven't been able to check that yet - Any inputs would be very welcome and interesting! 😁

(If there is a better forum for this kinda post, please let me know too).

Imaged with:
Celestron AVX Mount
Skywatcher 150PDS
ZWO ASI183MM-Pro
Baader RGB Filters

6 hours ago, lukebl said:

I used Skysafari Pro.

Cool, thanks for that - I'll give it a look.

6 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Nice capture, wondering if you can make a time-lapse from your subs. 

Cheers. A pure coincidence I recognized it - will definitely keep an eye out for more! 
Probably could, I'll consider that.

In the span of the hours imaging, it moved like 3-4 arc-minutes. 

7 hours ago, The-MathMog said:

Very nice, and that was a fast respond guys! That was quite a close magnitude estimate haha!
May i ask what tool you use to identify object like this? 

I used Cartes du Ciel.

I'd also recommend ASTAP which will identify asteroids as part of its platesolving.

16 hours ago, don4l said:

I used Cartes du Ciel.

I'd also recommend ASTAP which will identify asteroids as part of its platesolving.

16 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

+1 for Cartes du Ciel.

Alright. Might need to add that to my software list then. I do like the aesthetics of Stellarium and since I comfortably use it to control my telescope too, I don't think I'll ditch that :D

I did image again tonight, and the asteroid is still well within frame. With the speed it is moving through the frame, I suspect that it will be in frame for a couple more days too.