SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Scotland prepares to host Europe's first 'dark sky park'

Greg

Brecon Beacons...and Exmoor to follow...

Hmmm last time i was at the mountain center the glow from the valleys and Cardiff & Newport was visible when imaging up to about 25-30 degrees above the horizon shilloueting Pen-y-fan and Crybin......there was a fair bit of moisture in the air though so that was probably reflecting the lights...

Billy...

This is my dark site - 55 miles from my home and the skies are astounding.

Lucky man - ever thought of trying to host a small Star party? There are a good number of us in Central Scotland that would travel to the "deep south" of the Country if you ever did.

Tom

A few of us from the Renfrewshire Asto Soc use the site and also the Ayrshire Soc, The site is on hill overlooking Loch Doon however space is very limited for parking and can take only 2 -3 cars plus astro kit before it gets too crowded.

I have looked around the area for a suitable campsite , there was a campsite in the Glen Trool area which Im trying to locate some info on, It would be ideal for a small starparty if it has facilities.

Once I have some info I will let you know.

Mark

this is the issue with the midands, smack in between mk, leicester, coventry. northampton, brummie

we have no chance :-(

East Anglia is our best option but where can we go without getting mugged or upsetting some farmer?

Southwest is also very good so they tell me

But yes the best skies in UK are without doubt in wales and scotland.

sad as it seems i did much of my astronomy in strathrye when i was a kid.

M33 with the binos was possible.

Its just too far though

I was in london over xmas, best i could manage was Venus. LP was just so bad

It is indeed sad the subject i love, and i cannot indulge.

Its a wonder we so many people get turned off by these issues.

Still kelling and salisbury for me this year, and i will attend any others as they come up!

• 2 weeks later...

East Anglia is our best option but where can we go without getting mugged or upsetting some farmer?

Just where exactly in East Anglia is mugging a problem?

Tony..

There's some dodgy folk in Suffolk Tony!! Particularly those that hang around outside village halls on a Sunday night pretending they are astronomers !! :) :)

There's some dodgy folk in Suffolk Tony!! Particularly those that hang around outside village halls on a Sunday night pretending they are astronomers !! :) :)

Tell me about it! As you know, my brother lives in Ipswich...

Come to the East Anglia meet and get mugged. Bring plenty of money :) .

Tony..

Archived