Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where to put skywatcher controller

Just wondered if anyone has a better idea to locate the skywatcher handcontroller than the standard tripod clip they supply.

I find the controller doesn't clip in very well without fiddling about in the dark and jogging the tripod and it always seems to be on the wrong leg for where I want to look.

Yesterday the curley lead got caught under the clip when I pulled the thing out and the lead pulled out - easily put right but a but frustrating at the time.

Maybe a hook and loop or something under the spreader plate ??

Hi Fraunhoffer.

You could try using a good quality Velcro sticky tape, I use a 2" wide Velcro and 3" in length with the strips stuck on the three tripod legs and some on the hand controller. It makes easy access to the hand controller.

Regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

• Thanks 3

I made a removable double tray that hooks to the front of my SkyWatcher dobsonian mount.  It is a good catch-all for all sorts of things, such as the Raspberry Pi, Arduino focus controller, a power strip for all the little "wall wart" transformers, and general cables and stuff.  I fully expect the supplied plastic hand unit mount to break in time, making the tray the eventual home for the hand unit.

The tray is made from a typical wire rack from Home Depot and is intended to be used on the back of kitchen cabinet  doors.  I mounted it to an aluminum back plate and added two upside-down coat hooks to the top so it would hook on the front of the mount.  It just lifts off the mount, but stays put during operations and does not impede the telescope movement.

20200303_202811.jpg

Edited by JonCarleton
  • Like 2

I have the same problem.  I tried velcro and whilst it is wrapped around the leg OK, the velcro on the handset came away after a few months I guess due to the damp.  If I can't find the bracket in the dark I tend to just let it hang (I have a box underneath the tripod).

Some people place the handset into a little canvas bag suspended below the spreader 

That sounds a good option I might give that some thought.

Carole 

• Like 1

I like the basket idea - I suspect that my local Poundstretcher would sell a hook on or sucker-on bathroom shower item doing a very similar job for not a huge investment.  A hook on version would be more secure, but I bet you could soon adapt a 'sucker-on' one with a couple of wire coat hangers.  Though it's not the controller I had issues with (though my nice WiFi unit now render it obsolete) finding somewhere to put it, I still have issues with uncontrolled EP's and all their tops and tails.  Hence any basket I had might need the gaps lining with some form of soft fabric.    I am not disciplined enough to meticulously replace each in their box during use with all the tops and tails back in place.  Instead all three pieces tend to roll around in coat pockets getting muddled up until I return at the end of the night frozen cold and dump the whole lot on the table, along with finders, wires, phone's, telescope covers etc. on the.  what I ought to do is to work out what I am going to use and only take those out already topped and tailed and leave the others inside.  However, I end up outside changing what I want by the moment, then discovering I've left something inside, rush back in and throw stuff around finding what I want and adding to the chaos and then it takes me about 45 mins the next day to put is all away neat and tidy.  (Someone please tell me that I am not alone!).  Oh, for a permanent outdoor location where everything could be left in a ready to use state.

• Like 1