Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is a Skywatcher Heritage 130P Dobsonian a good starter scope?

Probably the best starter scope!

Many of us on here use them. It was my first scope in 2011 and it's the only one that's stayed with me since then, and not for sentimental reasons... It's seen off scopes that cost 3-4 times as much. 

• Like 4

Its pretty good but it needs 3 things

A stool or stand

A shroud since it's open tube 

A dewcap since mirror is so close to open tube

So u gotta add up the costs of these items but it is portable. 

I'll send my YouTube video I made to your private message and u decide

Joejaguar 

Not only a beginners scope - it will find a long-term use, at least as a travel - or grab-and-go scope. Excellent optics, decent mount, versatile, holds collimation well.  The focuser's slop can be fixed with PTFE strip. Never needed a dewcap or light shroud. Add a 30 mmf Plössl eyepiece,  a 8-24 zoom and a. Baader 2,25 x Barlow for magnifications from 22x up to 183x, and learn to collimate; that's all you will need - and enjoy the journey!

Add.: You may have a look at a similar discussion here (the AWB scope is the same - US brand):

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/632902-is-awb-scope-the-best-entry-level-scope-for-most-beginners/

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
Info added
  • Like 1

Agreed, an excellent scope which is really affordable. I bought one as the OTA only from Astroboot for about £50 and use it on a normal alt az mount. That does help put it at a more convenient height, otherwise a table or other similar platform makes life easier.

No need to spend a fortune on it. I agree that a shroud helps cut stray light and also stops your breath from causing tube currents. But, a couple of pieces of thin hobby foam and a bit of DIY and you can make yourself one very cheaply.

As Stephan says, a wrap or two of PTFE tape tightens the focuser up nicely. You can also add a Vixen finder bracket and use a better finder.

@Mark at Beaufort has done plenty of mods on his Heritage which are worth checking out on here

I've been impressed by the optics in mine, it has split some doubles it has no right to split such as Pi Aquilae which has only 1.4" separation. So, despite the clear cost cutting in certain areas I wouldn't let that put you off.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The diffraction patterns would be different as all three have different secondary spiders, but the mirrors are the same and so the visuals would be very similar aside from that. Choosing between them based on the mounts will probably be a more important decision.

Hi and thanks for your answer.  I want to do some basic photography using my smartphone with a smartphone holder over the eyepiece (yes I know not to expect epic pictures of huge detail,  just for fun). But I am wondering whether the way the eyepiece is mounted, in the extended section,  could it hold the weight do you think?  Or would a proper tube be better? 

1 minute ago, Gmx76 said:

Hi and thanks for your answer.  I want to do some basic photography using my smartphone with a smartphone holder over the eyepiece (yes I know not to expect epic pictures of huge detail,  just for fun). But I am wondering whether the way the eyepiece is mounted, in the extended section,  could it hold the weight do you think?  Or would a proper tube be better? 

I definitely think a solid tube with a proper focuser would be better for this. The Heritage is an excellent starter scope with surprisingly good optics, but does have certain limitations. The focuser is fine for visual use, that’s all I would say.

Yes. But... If you can stretch the budget by £64 the Skywatcher Skyliner 150 would be the better option. In general and with the usual light pollution in bigger cities the minimum aperture for a beginner to really see things is 150mm in a reflector. 127+ is good and you will still see things but 150-203mm really the optimal choice. That scope is here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html 

Thanks l. I did hear that was a good scope but seems a bit of a lump to move about? Luckily I live close to the countryside so light pollution is less of an issue.   I did post on another thread but considering the Explorer or Starquest 130p instead. Unless others have any other suggestions? Does seem Skywatcher are quite a good brand for beginners. 

Skywatcher is a great brand for beginners and intermediate as well as advanced users. As to moving, the 150 isn't hard at all. If it is a real challenge you can get an inexpensive furniture dolly for about £10-15 and roll it about.