SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The magic of dark, transparent skies

Littleguy80

55 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Which areas round Norwich are the best.. seems like I might need to take a holiday round there... but closer than Scotland!

Peter

Kelling Heath, on the Norfolk coast, regularly hosts star parties. Any camping spots along the coast here will do well. Drop me a PM if you do head out this way and I’ll give you some suggestions of places to visit :) 

13 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Brilliant report Neil - it shows the quality of a 10" Dob and a good dark site. So many enjoyable objects - I so wish we had more good transparent nights.

Thank you, Mark. I completely agree. You can’t underestimate the importance of transparency. I used to come back from dark site trips wondering why I’d struggled to see things. Poor transparency was the answer, I just didn’t appreciate that at the time. We may only get a handful each their but they’re always nights to remember :) 

Brilliant report Neil enjoyed reading it.

When things come together right the results are very memorable. I can count on one hand the number of truly transparent nights I've had. 

I have picked up the HH without filters several times although pristine skies always make if far better to trace the contrasting lines along it. 

I've struggled to get out this winter and have missed a few decent nights of late. Heading to Galloway SP next month so all being well the skies will be kind and I'll be able to submit a report worth reading.

Keep up the viewing reports they're always good to read. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cjg said:

Awesome report, sorry I missed Monday evening, very pleased your evening turned out so well.

Chris

Thanks Chris. We missed you Monday! I wasn’t able to get out over that weekend but sounded like you enjoyed some good observing Friday and Saturday.