Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Auriga - WideField with 50mm

85 x 80s ISO 1600 at F4.5.  50mm "nifty-fifty" on Canon 1100D. 17 Jan 2020 when directly overhead.  10 x bias, darks and flats each.

How to get rid of the flare on the brightest stars?  Any ideas please?  Also the red circle to the upper left of Capella ?????

Auriga.thumb.jpg.bc7d6f36ccfa8a7c9cf148e0fc2509cf.jpg

• Like 9

Hi guys, thanks.  Yes it is a modded 1100D.

I have seen these step down rings.  So you leave the camera wide open and step it down with a ring/  Can you stack these rings one on top? 

Mean to say this was made using a Star Adventurer, a might fine piece of gear indeed.

Edited by kirkster501

Is that a 11mm total reduction to get f5 on a 55mm lens, so a 55mm to 44mm stepdown ring? Or an I doing that wrong?

EDIT, nope that's not right I've done it wrong

Some refection later I thinks it's lens length divided by aperture. I need some stepdown rings as well.

Edited by happy-kat

From Wiki:

"The f-number of an optical system is the ratio of the system's focal length to the diameter of the entrance pupil ("clear aperture"). "

So here:                                    f-number = FL/D

So, for f/5 with a 55mm lens

D=55/5

Therefore,                               D=11mm

and for f/4                              D=13.75mm

Well, in theory! I guess it'd be instructional to check that the diameter of the front element does fit this formula for the designed lens aperture too.

Ian

Doh, I think I've got that right now, how many edits have I had to do :wink2:.

Edited by The Admiral

Hi,

So do you stop down with these threaded step-downs into each other (the bottom one screwed into the lens) to stop it down to the required level to reduce the spikes?

Also, if you look at my picture (crop below)  there is a strange halo effect with bright stars and this halo is radially away from the optical centre of the 50mm lens.  What is that please?  Is it a by-product of a cheapish lens?

327918170_Screenshot2020-01-19at18_07_11.png.96107602d97ad8ba8d0008ea6b85e6e7.png