Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Genesis and Mewlon double act

Stu

This is a setup I would love to get under a dark sky. The Mewlon giving high powered views and the Genesis lovely widefield views out to 4 and 5 degrees with 20mm 100 degree and 30mm 82 degree eyepieces respectively.

I wasn't expecting the skies to stay clear for so long last night, in the end I had an excellent 2.5 hours, finishing up at around 11pm wandering over a variety of objects. Early on I picked up Uranus and, having read John's comment, Vesta which is one I haven't checked for a while.

Alan's report had me looking at Lambda Ari, a lovely wide double. Then whilst unsuccessfully looking for Comet C/2017 T2 Panstarrs (too faint for my skies last night) I found a lovely little quadruple system STF 297 on Skysafari. I could only pick up 3 of the four components but there is no reason why 4 should not be possible from better skies looking at the brightness and separation. Worth a look.

EDIT having checked this again, the separation of the fourth component is only 0.3", much too tight to split so this one will remain just a triple.

I had my usual look at M42, beautiful in the Genesis at low power as the tiny Trapezium was still split, but it was set in context with the rest of the sword. It's more like a binocular view but better corrected. Likewise the whole belt area fits in one field of view, yet up the power and Sigma Orionis shows its fourth tiny component. Can't do that in most binos! Seeing wasn't great, so higher power showed my normal 'E but no F' views of the trap in the Mewlon. Still, enjoyable structure in the Nebula.

The 37 Cluster, NGC 2169 is another favourite of mine. Clearly identifiable in the Genesis at low power, the Mewlon showed it beautifully, including the lovely little double in the top corner of the 3.

Rigel and Polaris showed their tiny secondary components, nicest at moderate power due to the seeing. I had a somewhat futile look at Sirius, pushing the power right up to over x400 with no luck, too much flaring going on unfortunately. I've still yet to see the Pup! Good to note that the tracking on the AZ100 was smooth and easy to control at these powers still.

I then had a trawl around the Auriga clusters M36, 37 and 38 and 35 in Gemini, enjoying seeing them in context with their surroundings through the Genesis, and in more detail in the Mewlon. They all have such different characters, they are all worth spending time on.

M45 in the Genesis with the 30mm eyepiece with 5 degree fov was fab despite the LP, I love the Alcyone quadruple in this cluster. Later on I picked up M44 which was in a brighter part of the sky so not as nice as I've seen it before, need to get this Genesis under a darker sky!

I finished up trying for M81 and 82, just to see how they looked. Very faint in the refractor, due to the smaller aperture and brighter sky background, a little better image scale and contrast in the Mewlon, but nothing special. It confirms for me really that open and Globular clusters, doubles and the brighter PNs, plus M42 make the most enjoyable observing from my garden. Plenty to choose from still so just need some more nights like last night. Need to plan out a more varied set of objects really rather than a grand tour of the usual suspects.

Pics of my setup, plus a Skysafari screenshot showing how the Genesis frames Orion's belt and M45.

20200115_191107.jpg

20200115_191131.jpg

20200115_190146.jpg

Screenshot_20200116-092956_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20200116-092752_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

• Like 13

Great report Stu - what a super setup :icon_biggrin:

I found the seeing a little unsteady here last night. Not quite what was needed for the tightest doubles and Sirius didn't "go" for me either. Lots of central heating plumes around I reckon including our own house. My other half seems to resist the idea of watching TV with several layers of clothes on, strangely :rolleyes2:

It was really nice being out under the stars with a scope for a few hours after all the rain we have had. Back to that again this morning though - those star clusters against black velvet seem a distant memory already !

• Like 2

A fine session Stu. I had hoped for one myself last evening but it did not happen. The cold crisp winter nights need to start happening soon !

A few nights ago I had a brief session and managed E&F but not the Pup.....

Love the set up.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 1

Thanks Chaps. It was great to be out there, that's probably why I wrote up the report of what was an otherwise unremarkable session.

The Genesis is a great scope I must say. There is CA on brighter stars, but below that it is not noticeable and the huge field of view is fabulous. Need to get it on the Veil!

I think I said elsewhere, that replacing the rubber feet with spikes on the Planet allows you to push them into the grass and really stabilises the whole rig. A sharp tap on the tripod or scope settles in under a second and focusing barely creates any movement.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

I had a somewhat futile look at Sirius, pushing the power right up to over x400 with no luck, too much flaring going on unfortunately. I've still yet to see the Pup!

Why’s it called a mewlon  Stu? Is it a type or just a model name? Nice looking scope either way

I'm starting to think the pup is just too faint for our London skies but I’d love to hear that’s not the case. It’s about the same separation as Rigel's double isn’t it? At ~300x I’m getting plenty of separation on Rigel to clear Sirius’s flare but no joy seeing the pup

Hi guys,

Seeing the Pup. There are often claims of seeing the Pup but most will be mistaken. A well known visual observer has seen it just 3 times in his observing life (40 yrs of observing with quality kit) and then only when the separation is at its maximum, with Sirius at or near the Meridian, under very steady skies (rare in GB) and in very transparent skies (also rare in GB) - in dark-ish skies (that is Naked eye mag 5.7 stars visible). I have looked myself on suitable nights using a scope that is ideal for splitting doubles - never seen it, although on one occasion two of us agreed that there was a definite pin prick of light right on the edge of the glare but once we checked the PA we knew that we were mistaken. So if you ever think you have seen it, doubt yourself - check sep and PA.

Have fun and live in hope of spotting the Pup.

Mike

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Why’s it called a mewlon  Stu? Is it a type or just a model name? Nice looking scope either way

I'm starting to think the pup is just too faint for our London skies but I’d love to hear that’s not the case. It’s about the same separation as Rigel's double isn’t it? At ~300x I’m getting plenty of separation on Rigel to clear Sirius’s flare but no joy seeing the pup

I do tend to agree with you Mark. I suspect LP plays a role aswell as the seeing. I think the same thing applies to the F component of the Trap. I was having to use averted vision to pick up the similar brightness third component of STF297 last night, so given the proximity to the brightest of the Trap stars, F is probably easier from a darker site.

@Mike JW I don't disagree with your points. There are a few very experienced SGL members who report seeing the Pup ( @John and @chiltonstar are two prime examples) who I completely believe and trust their observations as they report exactly what you say ie observe the Pup, then afterwards check the angular position and separation to verify it, not the other way around.

There have been a few reports involving less experienced members and under conditions which seem unlikely where the Pup has apparently been observed, sometimes on the first attempt. I tend not to take these as being robust observations shall we say. I have only once glimpsed a spec which I thought might be it, only to check later  and find it was in completely the wrong place! It is very easy to get confused by a reflection or other artefact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

I have no idea where the name came from but it is a brand name rather than a type of scope. The design is referred to as a Dall-Kirkham. The primary is actually 220mm I believe, to ensure no edge problems creep into the light path.

https://www.takahashi-europe.com/en/mewlon.optics.php

• Thanks 1

Great report and a very productive time.

I have the same issue  in only really being able to go for brighter objects from my back garden where I do most of my observing.

Things like fainter nebulae are not possible and with galaxies I can only see a few of the brighter ones as faint smudges.

Hi Stu, Like you I have no problem with experienced observers seeing the Pup. Over the years when tackling difficult targets I always start from a position of doubt, then double or triple check. It is too easy to "imagine" something.

Interesting discussion as to what is the best scope for seeing the Pup or tight doubles in GB.  My feeling is 8" scope - Mak Cas or Mak Newt (or an Apo!!!) should be doable. Prefer a 10" Mak Cass to give a greater chance. A friend has seen the Pup in an 12" Mewlon. Also I know of a reliable observation using a quality (1/10 wave mirror) 18" Dob. In essence I feel a quality scope with a small secondary and preferably no spider vanes will give the greatest chance in the GB climate.

Component F - transparent and steady nights (so rare in GB) , able to pick it up in an 8" Mak Cass. Also on a good night lovely to be able to pick it up in my 20" Dob that I use to have.

I feel the last year has been one of the worst we have had in 15 years for poor skies - high humidity and unsteady skies - splitting tight doubles has frequently been a waste of time.

Mike

• Like 1