Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peak Star Party Spring 2020

On 12/02/2020 at 02:16, Thor92 said:

I may have a wonder over to this :) be one of my first meets. 

Got a skywatcher 150pds with a few mods on a modded EQ5 mount. Be nice to see folk and get some advice, every days a learning day especially with this stuff! 

Get yourself booked in. While enjoying the all too rare dark sky well away from the rat race, in the company of the like minded, you're supporting the farming and local tourism industries all at once. Plus it's cheap.

Need more convincing? No? Sign up then!

Come on folks, the more, the merrier!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
Typos
  • Like 2

Still plenty of time to book, hopefully a great weekend what with SGL cancelled and no tents at Galloway it's got to be 3rd time lucky for us. 

4 weeks this Friday coming, soon be upon us. 

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Joecobbs said:

Hi, first post. Just found out about this star party and I'm very interested, but not sure what I actually have to do to book?Thanks

Hi email the site Shallow grange they will reply pay a deposit then the rest on the day hope you can make it be a nice little gathering.

We are going to try to incorporate 

workshop for mount / scope matters , including collimation and polar alignment.
Masterclass in the night sky and visual observing. Guided tours and practical assistance .
How to goto , what they don't tell you !
Open forum and discussion

If we can depending on weather. 

• Like 2

I am bringing EQ5 a Tal 100rs and the Meade 127mm refractor which has got a Skywatcher dual speed focuser on. 

Ohh and a pair of binoculars 10x42s I would like a look through the 120 if we get a chance please. 

Edited by wookie1965
  • Thanks 1

How many people are actually still thinking of going given the current status of the country? I have no problems going personally, but unfortunately, it is likely the casualties from Covid19 will be into three figures in the UK by the weekend, and my wife will be far more concerned. Despite the government saying it is too early to take the kind of action we are seeing elsewhere in Europe, it would not surprise me if they brought forward similar actions here this week. Thoughts?

I believe there are only 8/10 coming I will be there with my wife I cannot see anyone passing anything on if they have not been in contact with anyone and are not showing any signs. If worse comes to worse we can stay in our own tents and shout to each other😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

How many people are actually still thinking of going given the current status of the country? I have no problems going personally, but unfortunately, it is likely the casualties from Covid19 will be into three figures in the UK by the weekend, and my wife will be far more concerned. Despite the government saying it is too early to take the kind of action we are seeing elsewhere in Europe, it would not surprise me if they brought forward similar actions here this week. Thoughts?

There's 66 million people in the country, 1372 confirmed cases and 35 people with previous health issues have sadly died. The likelihood any of us are going to cause an epidemic in a Peak District field is super slim. 😉

At the moment you've more chance of winning a lottery than contracting the virus.

Wookie I'm sure we will get chance to look through each others eyepieces...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great! The 20 bottles of beer I just picked up from Lidl in preparation wasn't a waste of time.

I will be solo. The other half's just finished chemo 3 weeks ago and had her last radiotherapy today, so for once is going to follow advice!

Looking forward to seeing everyone. 

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Great! The 20 bottles of beer I just picked up from Lidl in preparation wasn't a waste of time.

I will be solo. The other half's just finished chemo 3 weeks ago and had her last radiotherapy today, so for once is going to follow advice!

Looking forward to seeing everyone. 

Please send my regards to your significant other  I hope she feels better as soon as, Yes I am looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

• Thanks 2

On 15/03/2020 at 16:29, wookie1965 said:

We are going to try to incorporate 

workshop for mount / scope matters , including collimation and polar alignment.
Masterclass in the night sky and visual observing. Guided tours and practical assistance .
How to goto , what they don't tell you !
Open forum and discussion

If we can depending on weather. 

Thank you in advance, all of those would be greatly appreciated, I really hadn't expected all of this to be on offer. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, annoyingly, the day after all my new camping equipment arrived I'm having to go into isolation due to having contact with a family member who is now a confirmed case. I'm especially annoyed as I'm absolutely loving my new scope and set-up, I've already done more obverting this year than I did in the whole of the last year! I feel fine but now's not the time to be taking risks, I'd hate to bring it up to camp.

Hope you all have an amazing time and the clearest of skies, I'll defiantly see you at the next one!

Jeremy

• Sad 1

I'm having to bow out of this meet now unfortunately. Cant take the car away from the family this weekend and there are going to be stricter controls on movement put into place shortly. I have paid for my pitch but will not look to reclaim so it shouldn't have any bearing on number of bookings. Hope you all have clear skies!

• Sad 1