Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Peak Star Party Spring 2020

Thank you to everyone that turned up Duncan, Peter, Steve who I didn`t get to meet next time maybe and Nick, lets hope when this Virus has gone we can have another one and build on this maybe get 10 next time.

Really is a cracking site to observe better than home in light polluted skies went to my back door last night I could just make out Leo, the head had 3 stars from Shallow grange it was unmistakable, Orion nebula by eye so its worth the effort to get here.

Thank you for coming to the first party I have started with help from Nick here`s to the future. 

• Like 3

Sounds like a fun star party was had by most. I totally forgot this was on. 

I remember Storm Gonzales on the last big PSP at shallow grange. Blowing a proper gale and still trying to observe. It was a giggle to say the least. 

Cotterless is a good guide to the skies and glad the skies allowed him to pass on a few objects of note. NGC2392 and M51 at this time of year are perfectly placed. 

Good stuff guys bet you're already planning next years. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mapstar said:

Sounds like a fun star party was had by most. I totally forgot this was on. 

I remember Storm Gonzales on the last big PSP at shallow grange. Blowing a proper gale and still trying to observe. It was a giggle to say the least. 

Cotterless is a good guide to the skies and glad the skies allowed him to pass on a few objects of note. NGC2392 and M51 at this time of year are perfectly placed. 

Good stuff guys bet you're already planning next years. 

If this Virus blows over going to try for October good to see you there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

If this Virus blows over going to try for October good to see you there.

Thanks for the heads up Paul and fingers crossed this pandemic passes quickly with the least problems for everyone. 

I hope you get it sorted and all the arrangements in place. I doubt I will be there as I'm already booked for the dark skies of Galloway. I book years in advance. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Thanks for the heads up Paul and fingers crossed this pandemic passes quickly with the least problems for everyone. 

I hope you get it sorted and all the arrangements in place. I doubt I will be there as I'm already booked for the dark skies of Galloway. I book years in advance. 

Just as well Or Else 😂

Derek

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, SteveWolves said:

Has  anyone thought of doing this again in the Autumn/ winter?

Yes I have and would be willing to contact the site once this virus has died down I am sure they would be happy for us to come so they make some money.

• Like 1

Note that the dark of Moon this year   in October will also conflict with the annual Kelling star party which is the largest in the UK, assuming we get to go. The same will probably apply next year as Kelling has had to move from its usual September slot to accomadate the 40's weekend in Holt/Sheringham.

Owen

1 hour ago, SteveWolves said:

No I'm sure its Kelling that clashes with us.....

Wookie1965 did we discuss this there in March?

We may have mentioned it but there was no real discussion as we were all talking about the virus and lock down.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

With the Mars opposition looming and the current Covid situation seemingly past its peak do we think there may be an Autumn camp this year? I'd certainly take the risk. The Cumbrian camp site I visited this last weekend had good risk mitigation measures in place and we certainly felt safe.

The only issue for an astrocamp would be sharing of eyepieces and a drink. ;)

Although I think if people are sensible generally and are still being careful in every day life, then there's only a very small risk one of us is a super spreader who inadvertantly murders everyone at the camp!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

True. Let's see if 10 or more put their hand up. The Cumbrian site I visited might take us if we can fill their pitches. I believe they will take a couple of camper vans as well as the tents. No ehu pitches may be an issue for some people though. The views there were great and it's darker than the peaks site. Absolutely no obvious lp that I could see.

I need to attend this to return all the items left in my tent from March 😁

.... oh and also to prove that I do actually know how to align my scope now ! (note to self - pay attention to GMT / BST setting)

Count me in 👍

2 hours ago, pcdunx said:

I need to attend this to return all the items left in my tent from March 😁

.... oh and also to prove that I do actually know how to align my scope now ! (note to self - pay attention to GMT / BST setting)

Count me in 👍

You're not the only one. I had problems with AZ-GTI gotos. On arrival home the realisation I'd not given Synscan location permission on the new phone taken to the camp hit me. I can only blame my wimpyness in the biting wind affecting the brain!

Haitch, all the pitches on 'our' field have EHUs.

• Like 2