Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

double crab

alacant

6f8.thumb.jpg.ffb7adc2e18e4a52a36df828743d9f63.jpgHi everyone

Despite the fact that f8 is far too slow for astro-photography (don't!) and whilst waiting for The Crab to get high enough, we went for the double cluster anyway. The aberration-free reflector never fails to surprize. Even with my processing, there's a hint of blue in some of the stars:)

Not much detail in The Crab, not sure what to do about that. Maybe a milder stretch for the central part and then layer over the brighter?

Thanks for looking and all comments most gratefully received.

eos 700d on  nt150l

304643428_1-884-869(copy).thumb.jpg.df28d24dfe221ca6b6037d91ab5f1193.jpg

8164315_1-1(copy).thumb.jpg.d86a751ac3f4a7b80f810525cd0bcf6c.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 16

Vlaiv showed me an image a few months back taken with a 180mm Mak at F15, as I was asking about using the one I have. The image was as good as anything I have ever seen posted on this site, whilst I am sure it is not easy at 2700mm and F15, it sure can be done by some with more skill than I can muster.

Nice images BTW but I feel a tad too rich in red/orange colour, I feel they would be better a little less saturated.

Alan

Alan

• Thanks 1

Your Crab's nice and a classic in the LRGB/OSC genre on this object. The problem, if there is one, is not that the core is saturated (it isn't) but that the filters you're using are not holding down the broadband spectrum around the filaments so these don't show strongly against the light around them. The bolder Ha filaments show strongly but an OIII filter would find an intricate network of fine lace-like lines. I doubt that any image can have it both ways, ie the natural look of LRGB/OSC and the contrasty filamentary detail of narrowband. (I hope to find out next month by taking some LRGB to go with this month's NB.) Your version, colour apart, gives a good idea of the eyepiece view in large apertures. I like it.

Olly

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Datalord said:

put an axe to my 12" CFF RC at f/8.

LOL. Too right mate. F8? Get rid before anyone notices!

4 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Neither are slower or faster

Ahhggghh!

5 hours ago, vlaiv said:

don't

You can't say I didn't try😉

Now, Alacant, your insistence upon remaining forever in the beginner section should, in my view, preclude you from making 'in jokes' regarding focal ratio which, for real beginners, are a source of serious confusion and sometimes the wasting of money. While those of us who know you know that you do not fall for the F ratio myth, we must be sensitive to the needs of genuine beginners in search of real information. Play fair.

Olly

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

While those of us who know you know that you do not fall for the F ratio myth, we must be sensitive to the needs of genuine beginners in search of real information. Play fair.

Olly

Can you remind me what that myth is again @ollypenrice.

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 2