Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with SG Pro - failing to platesolve and aborting sequence.

tooth_dr

[12/31/19 02:27:39.882][DEBUG] [Center Scope Thread] Unable to achieve results below allowable error (51 px) in 5 attempts!
[12/31/19 02:27:39.883][DEBUG] [Center Scope Thread] RA Error: 17.3
[12/31/19 02:27:39.883][DEBUG] [Center Scope Thread] DEC Error: 50.7
[12/31/19 02:27:51.471][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Something has gone wrong when centering the target, but recovery mode is NOT active!
[12/31/19 02:27:51.471][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Adding sequence level notification: Something has gone wrong when centering the target, but recovery mode is NOT active!
[12/31/19 02:27:51.474][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Sending Notification: Error - Something has gone wrong when centering the target, but recovery mode is NOT active!
[12/31/19 02:27:51.474][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Error on auto center, aborting sequence!

@symmetal you are right about that setting, it didnt help.

Looking some advice here.  Thought I had it sorted last night where I found an empty field in the setting, went to bed and it failed after the first sequence, when it tried to move to panel 2 of the 8 panel mosaic.

I have been using the same platesolving software with APT very successfully on the same PC.  It solves in 2-3 moves to within 10 pixels (my setting).

With SGPro it seems to not move between successive attempts at correcting position.  So on platesolve 1 after initial slew - it will be say 51 pixels out.  It will then 'move' and do platesolve 2 - but it doesnt move and reports the same info back.  This continues on for 5 attempts and then fails and aborts the sequence.

Last night it did solve to with 2 pixels, so it does work, but for some reason it chooses not to during the mosaic wizard.

Other than that, the software seems to be working well.  Autofocus didnt get me to the best position, but I suspect thats a backlash issue that I need to address.

Any help appreciated, as the mosiac wizard is the probably the only reason I bought the software.

CS

Adam.

28 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Need more info & logs, e.g. equipment in use, SGPro log (which version ?), Windows versions etc....  Also have you asked on the SGPro forum https://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/ 

If you are using EQMod\Ascom ensure that under "Alignment / Sync", 'user interface' is set to 'Dialog Based'.

Thanks Julian.

I'm using an EQ6 with EQMOD.  I just checked my Alignment/Sync user interface - it was set to Append on Sync.  Do you think that would cause the issue? I did clear all the data as advised before and maybe that helped it work initially, but I notice that the count kept going up.

2067206913_sgproscreenshot.thumb.jpg.2d75ce14478b1e4521e051a8b4d37af5.jpg

Log attached - i'm new to the software so I did a fair bit of faffing around setting it up.  The last crash was after 2am.

sg_logfile_20191230193937.txt

SG Pro - latest version downloaded on the 28th Dec Version 3.0.3.169

Windows 7 Pro

Thanks for your time

Adam.

Yes, your setting is "append on sync" which over time, with the greater number of sync points will 'force' the mount to what it thinks is the correct position, which then differs from what the plate solve is trying to achieve, so they end up fighting each other....

Set it to Dialogue Based AND clear the sync points list, then give it a go....

BTW, the latest version of SGPro 3.1.0.429 BUT, to run it successfully I'd suggest you update your Windows to Win 10 (free upgrade), especially as your version goes out of support tomorrow....

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Julian.

I'm using an EQ6 with EQMOD.  I just checked my Alignment/Sync user interface - it was set to Append on Sync.  Do you think that would cause the issue? I did clear all the data as advised before and maybe that helped it work initially, but I notice that the count kept going up.

2067206913_sgproscreenshot.thumb.jpg.2d75ce14478b1e4521e051a8b4d37af5.jpg

Log attached - i'm new to the software so I did a fair bit of faffing around setting it up.  The last crash was after 2am.

sg_logfile_20191230193937.txt 4 MB · 0 downloads

SG Pro - latest version downloaded on the 28th Dec Version 3.0.3.169

If you use any pointing model with SGP it will mess up your platesolves, you must use Dialog Based in EQMOD and clear out any points you already have when you change the setting.

3.0.3.169 isn't the latest version btw.

https://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/sequence-generator-3-1-0-429-stable-is-released-for-general-use/11432

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Yes, your setting is "append on sync" which over time, with the greater number of sync points will 'force' the mount to what it thinks is the correct position, which then differs from what the plate solve is trying to achieve, so they end up fighting each other....

Set it to Dialogue Based AND clear the sync points list, then give it a go....

BTW, the latest version of SGPro 3.1.0.429 BUT, to run it successfully I'd suggest you update your Windows to Win 10 (free upgrade), especially as your version goes out of support tomorrow....

Beat me to it 😀

• Thanks 1

'Dialogue based' in EQMOD deletes any previous sync points that are close to the latest one, so that you don't end up with many sync points close together which causes pointing errors in EQMOD as the others have said.

As this didn't cause a problem for you using APT, I assume APT issues commands to the mount to just move NSEW by a certain amount when centring the image. SGP appears to ask the mount to move to a specific location when centring. Because of the incorrct pointing model due to multiple close sync points EQMOD just reports it's already at that location even when it's not in reality. Your 51 pixels is the error in the EQMOD pointing model at that location.

If you slewed and centred to a new target well away from your previous one, the centring would probably work OK even using 'Append on Sync' but doing a mosaic you will end up with many close sync points and problems using SGP.

I should have mentioned this in my reply yesterday, but thought it had already been mentioned in the thread, but assumed the wrong thread. :mad2: 

Alan

17 minutes ago, symmetal said:

'Dialogue based' in EQMOD deletes any previous sync points that are close to the latest one, so that you don't end up with many sync points close together which causes pointing errors in EQMOD as the others have said.

As this didn't cause a problem for you using APT, I assume APT issues commands to the mount to just move NSEW by a certain amount when centring the image. SGP appears to ask the mount to move to a specific location when centring. Because of the incorrct pointing model due to multiple close sync points EQMOD just reports it's already at that location even when it's not in reality. Your 51 pixels is the error in the EQMOD pointing model at that location.

If you slewed and centred to a new target well away from your previous one, the centring would probably work OK even using 'Append on Sync' but doing a mosaic you will end up with many close sync points and problems using SGP.

I should have mentioned this in my reply yesterday, but thought it had already been mentioned in the thread, but assumed the wrong thread. :mad2: 

Alan

Thanks for explaining it! Makes sense. I only lost the 5 clear hours where the cloud disappeared 😭

@Dr_Ju_ju @Starflyer @symmetal

Last night I had a chance to do a brief test with the new settings recommended above.  I didn't have my telescope as the hub is away getting updated, so I used a 180mm lens attached to my QHY9 with a 1.25" filter inside an adapter.

SGPro worked 100%, and each time only required a single move to get to each panel centre within 30px.

Can't thank you all enough for helping me out.  I've attached just a test stitching below.  There is a rogue, I had initially planned a 4 panel mosaic, but switched to 6 after the first sub.

Adam.

St-med-4500.0s-NR-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-qua-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RE-noMBB--90degCCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS-St.jpg

• Like 2

I had sgp on the 45 day trail, and not a single image was taken.. it kept reporting that there was errors , and even the framing wizard was showing every target as m45 or lbn 1251 even if they was m51 etc .. a friend suggested there was a bug and to reload,  which I did..nothing altered and I lost complete faith so I just carried on with APT..

Seems like you need to to be a computer literate engineer just to run abit of software..  sure I understand installing the drivers etc as not everyone uses the same kit but beyond that is beyond me..

Not for me I'm afraid.. just glad I didn't just buy it as I was going to..

2 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Not for me I'm afraid.. just glad I didn't just buy it as I was going to..

SGP is the one thing that's changed imaging for me, perfect framing for multi night projects and perfect focus every frame. It's an absolute bargain at the price they charge for it.

It isn't the simplest piece of software to get to grips with, but the manual is good, support is great and there's video tutorials around that help. That said I've tried APT a few times recently on my brother's setup and just couldn't master it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Starflyer said:

SGP is the one thing that's changed imaging for me, perfect framing for multi night projects and perfect focus every frame. It's an absolute bargain at the price they charge for it.

It isn't the simplest piece of software to get to grips with, but the manual is good, support is great and there's video tutorials around that help. That said I've tried APT a few times recently on my brother's setup and just couldn't master it.

APT is simple... if I understood what the error codes were in sgp then maybe id feel about it differently..  like I said, I know what drivers I need for my equipment, I know how to connect and point it ... just don't see why I need to join another forum, waste another few nights imaging and getting frustrated on a bit of software.. why is it too much to ask to connect and play..why did the frame and mosaic wizard do what it did..nothing to do with my end...I have no control over that

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

APT is simple... if I understood what the error codes were in sgp then maybe id feel about it differently..  like I said, I know what drivers I need for my equipment, I know how to connect and point it ... just don't see why I need to join another forum, waste another few nights imaging and getting frustrated on a bit of software.. why is it too much to ask to connect and play..why did the frame and mosaic wizard do what it did..nothing to do with my end...I have no control over that

I tried three times, including getting an extension from the developers.  I couldn't get to grips with it.  In fact I just bought it because I know how good it is from reading reviews and feedback from users.  It still doesn't feel 'right' yet BUT I've over the hump now and have got to grips with it.  I totally understand your pain, and if it isn't needed then APT is perfect.  I just needed a better focus routine and mosaic wizard.  If APT offered those I would switch back as I still may end up needing synchronised dithering.

I have used APT and found it amazing for the price then ended up with SGPro which initially didn't do it for me and was ready to give up but if you push on it really starts to make sense. The only thing I struggle with changing profiles and sometimes when making a new sequence it decides to use some random settings. I am now on N.I.N.A and must say for a free piece of software it tops them all but very much like SGPro in how it works, very quick platesolving mosaic function and when you look up your targets its more like APT as it shows you a picture of it. But again I am still working a few things out.

I think if you like what you use then there is no need to change, I just like to fiddle around with new kit.