Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jones-Emberson 1 planetary nebula in Lynx

elpajare

I have always liked this object because of its difficulty, it is at the limit of the possibilities of my gear so I beg your pardon for the poor quality of the photograph.

This planetary nebula makes for a very difficult target due to its very low surface brightness. The bubble of expanding gas is the remnants of the atmosphere of a Sun-like star expelled as its supply of fusion-able core hydrogen became depleted. Although the expanding nebula will fade away over the next few thousand years, the central white dwarf may well survive for billions of years -- to when our universe may be a very different place.

JE-1 lies at RA 07h 57.8m and Dec +53deg 25arcmin. It has a quoted diameter of 400 arcsec and a visual magnitude of 12.1, a size / magnitude combination that gives it a very low surface brightness and makes it such a difficult visual target. It is thought to lie at a distance of around 1,600 light years. For star-hoppers wanting a challenge the best starting point is probably mag 3.5 omicron U.Ma from where there are plenty of mag 6 and 7 stars forming recognizable pattern leading to the planetary 8.4 degrees to the south-west. For some years after its discovery there was confusion between its position and designation with 2 small galaxies NGC 2474 and NGC 2475 which lie half a degree to the south. The matter was resolved by Ron Buta who wrote about it in the 1981 April issue of Sky & Telescope magazine.

British Astronomical Association. 2016, February 28

TSOptics RC 8 + IMX294C+UVIR

20x20 sec+ Dark&flat sub.+gain max.

Post proc with Startools

JE-1 lies at RA 07h 57.8m and Dec +53deg 25arcmin. It has a quoted diameter of 400 arcsec and a visual magnitude of 12.1, a size / magnitude combination that gives it a very low surface brightness and makes it such a difficult visual target. It is thought to lie at a distance of around 1,600 light years. For star-hoppers wanting a challenge the best starting point is probably mag 3.5 omicron U.Ma from where there are plenty of mag 6 and 7 stars forming recognizable pattern leading to the planetary 8.4 degrees to the south-west. For some years after its discovery there was confusion between its position and designation with 2 small galaxies NGC 2474 and NGC 2475 which lie half a degree to the south. The matter was resolved by Ron Buta who wrote about it in the 1981 April issue of Sky & Telescope magazine.

JONES-EMBERSON 1 PN LYNX 20X20 A54º M0 W 0SSW S 2-1 APO +IMX294+UVIR 2.jpg

• Like 9

Well done capturing that one, it's really faint.  I managed to capture it during a session last year and it took 60 seconds exposures to see anything. Mine was only in black and white so interesting to see it in colour.

3 hours ago, Mike JW said:

New to me as well. I wonder if I could get it visually with my Dob. Now on my EAA list. Thanks for bringing this DSO to our attention. Mike

I suspect it is very very challenging visually given how faint it was through the camera, but I could be wrong.

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1

Hi Rob,

You are almost certainly right that I could not see it visually with my 15" scope but I shall try on an exceptional night. Just taken a look at your link - superb set of shots. If only we could have some clear nights........ Mike

• Thanks 1

I remember seeing this at Dower House (original equinox star party venue) it must be over 20 years ago.

I think it was an 18" (maybe 15") and it was not my scope or found by me.

It was very faint and I had to use averted vision to see it to start with.

I made a note of it and imaged it later with ccd.

• Like 1