NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW WiFi dongle. No power from my SW NEQ6 pro handset ??

Telescope40

Hello. Recently bought SW WiFi dongle for my NEQ6 pro. 
Cant seem to get power to the dongle from the handset. 
Suppiler happily took back the first dongle ( tested it - it was working ) and kindly sent me another. 
If I plug the dongle into the handset power cable with the handset no longer in the chain, so to speak, I do get a light on the dongle, so guessing the issue is the handset. 
The cable feels as if it clicks into the handset nicely ??!! 
puzzled. Com

Any advice would be welcome from the knowledgable folk on here 

John 

6 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Recently bought SW WiFi dongle for my NEQ6 pro. 
Cant seem to get power to the dongle from the handset. 
Suppiler happily took back the first dongle ( tested it - it was working ) and kindly sent me another. 
If I plug the dongle into the handset power cable with the handset no longer in the chain, so to speak, I do get a light on the dongle, so guessing the issue is the handset. 
The cable feels as if it clicks into the handset nicely ??!! 
puzzled. Com

Any advice would be welcome from the knowledgable folk on here 

John 

I might be wrong, but doesn't the wifi adapter plug into the mount's handset port not the handset ?

Hello. 
No option to plug directly into the mounts handset port as the mount does not have this option. I’ll post a couple of pictures that may clarify. 
I’m plugging it into the hand set port as advised by the supplier when I called them.  Im using the smaller port on the bottom of the handset. If I do this no lights appear on the dongle as expected. 
I just tried it directly via the power lead to see if any light came on. It does, so thinking the handset has an issue or it’s me being numb ?? yet again. Lol 

thank you 

Edited by Telescope40

13 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. 
Yes I’m plugging it into the hand set port. The smaller port on the bottom of the handset. If I do this no lights appear on the dongle as expected. 
I just tried it directly via the power lead to see if any light came on. It does, so thinking the handset has an issue or it’s me being numb ?? yet again. Lol 

thank you 

The dongle should, if I am correct, be plugged directly into the port on the mount, not the smaller port on the handset. The RJ12 port on the handset is for firmware updates or mount control through the handset from a pc.  Have you tried connecting the WiFi adapter to the mount directly using the mount's original handset/mount cable ?

What make is this dongle - looks DIY to me. Plus whats the point of  plugging a Wifi dongle into the handset? Sorry please explain what you are trying to do ?

It is technically possible to have a "component" that allows Wifi and also connects the handset serially(TTL mount port) which in urn connects to he mount DB9 port - so long as the voltages are correct ! the handset itself uses 12v supplied from the mount power if required. Why do you want to do it this way?

Also ask the "manufacturer" to state requirements for the Handset firmware!

1 hour ago, Telescope40 said:

No option to plug directly into the mounts handset port as the mount does not have this option.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq6-or-neq6-syntrek-pro-mounts.html

Quote from FLO website Compatible with EQMOD using a Lynx Astro EQDIR adapter 🙂

Sorry guys. I did not realise the handset was no longer required. 
Dongle bought from RVO so happy this is correct. 
plugged the dongle directly into the power cable now and I have a light on the dongle. 
No sign of WiFi signal on my phone. 
I know my phone is ok as it runs my AZgti mount nicely. 
a couple of photos added to show where I’m up to 

8F22E2A9-8004-492A-B839-1A7E0D9D6E5E.jpeg

83275430-CE24-409A-9328-8DA004232D73.jpeg

SynScan app is on my phone.  Use it with my AZ GTI mount. 
Fraid I have a I phone. 
Not locating a Synscan signal.  Only this   
ESP_51CA52 which I’ve not seen before but guessing is s a neighbour ? 
This is hard work when it should be simples, Sergi. 
appreciate your time @stash_old

Edited by Telescope40

23 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

SynScan app is on my phone.  Use it with my AZ GTI mount. 
Fraid I have a I phone. 
Not locating a Synscan signal.  Only this   
ESP_51CA52 which I’ve not seen before but guessing is s a neighbour ? 
This is hard work when it should be simples, Sergi. 
appreciate your time @stash_old

The ESP_51CA52 is possibly the device but not running correctly. 😞   Get back to RVO they have been paid !

Just out of interest what is the device with the red and black wires jammed between the Neq6 plate and body for?

If as I suspect it is carrying 12 volts, or any other voltage  it is a disaster waiting to happen. Very bad practice, a blown main board is expensive!!!

Derek

Been in touch with RVO. 
My NEQ6 is rather old and does not have the port on the mount so back to using the handset as part of the set up here. 
Looks like my handset may be compromised as still no power to the dongle. 
If I do not use the handset and power is from the mounts power cable, I get a light on the dongle. 
New handset needed maybe. This turning out to be expensive  - doh 

John 

44 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Just out of interest what is the device with the red and black wires jammed between the Neq6 plate and body for?

If as I suspect it is carrying 12 volts, or any other voltage  it is a disaster waiting to happen. Very bad practice, a blown main board is expensive!!!

Derek

Hello Derek. Been in place since I bought it. It’s a polar scope led. 
Mount underwent visit to Darkframe last year for a tune up, so presume mount is ok. 
Im looking to try the dongle as a few gotos are poor of late with this mount, that’s all. 

John 

7 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello Derek. Been in place since I bought it. It’s a polar scope led. 
Mount underwent visit to Darkframe last year for a tune up, so presume mount is ok. 
Im looking to try the dongle as a few gotos are poor of late with this mount, that’s all. 

John 

So not connected to the main board?

No. The small black box is for 2 AA batteries. I’ve never had the inclination unto look inside. 
Thinking my handset is the issue. 
Dodgy gotos And now this power issue to the dongle. 
All points to one culprit I think 

Thank you John 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telescope40 said:

Been in touch with RVO. 
My NEQ6 is rather old and does not have the port on the mount so back to using the handset as part of the set up here.

Does any one know if the "older" neq6 models were different?  

Perhaps a cheeky call to FLO might help as they say 🙂 (keywords "enables all") or an email to sky watcher importer.

Sky-Watcher's SynScan Wifi adapter enables all their Go-To mounts and telescopes to be operated wirelessy from a smartphone or tablet using the SynScan or SynScan Pro app or, from a PC via ASCOM.

Easily connects to the mount’s hand control port via one of the supplied RJ12 -> RJ45 or RJ45 -> RJ45 cables.

Alternative send the Wifi modeule back to RVO and just get a EQDIR adapter cable with DB9 connector (should inform shop its for a "older" NEQ6 Pro) from mount to a laptop - you can then use synscan app pro or AScom / eqmod by wire with no hand set.

Is that cable from the mount to the handset an original ? - still looks dodgy to me and if you have been having problems slew maybe its at fault .

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Sourced a new handset and bought a new handset cable.  Still no joy. 
have returned dongle to RVO who I must say were very helpful. 
So. At the moment I’m back to using the handset. 
wondering if there is another option, dongle, unit that uses WiFi to control a NEQ6 pro mount.  Looked at SkyFi but not sure if compatible with my mount. 
Any suggestions welcome as would still like to go down this control route. 
Thanks  John 

The ESP_XXXXX WiFi network is from the Skywatcher dongle - it probably indicates an issue with the WiFi dongle itself as it shouldn’t be broadcasting that WiFi network ID.

The GTi mounts occasionally broadcast something similar if there is an issue and they need a firmware update.

Hello @Grant thanks for the reply. The dongle did not get any power from either handset. 
Once plugged directly into the handset cable an amber light showed. 
This is where the ESP_xxxxx network showed on my phone and I pad but both the devices would never connect.  This was tried with both handsets and 2 separate dongles as RVO happily sent me a replacement unit once I confirmed my issue with the connectivity. 
Really baffled. I have a AZ GTI mount which works fine. This is why I hoped to control my NEQ6 in a similar manner. 
So far have been thwarted. 😥😥😥😥