Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW WiFi dongle. No power from my SW NEQ6 pro handset ??

Telescope40

18 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello @Grant thanks for the reply. The dongle did not get any power from either handset. 
Once plugged directly into the handset cable an amber light showed. 
This is where the ESP_xxxxx network showed on my phone and I pad but both the devices would never connect.  This was tried with both handsets and 2 separate dongles as RVO happily sent me a replacement unit once I confirmed my issue with the connectivity. 
Really baffled. I have a AZ GTI mount which works fine. This is why I hoped to control my NEQ6 in a similar manner. 
So far have been thwarted. 😥😥😥😥

The dongle doesn't plug into the handset. It is a replacement for the handset and plugs in to the handset port on the mount using the existing mount to handset cable.

Hello @Cornelius Varley  My mount is an old version which won’t allow me to plug  into the mount body directly.  It has DB9 connector ??? Not the RJ option, as on the handset. 
Had to use the the handset cable where I did get a light coming on but no connection worked when trying my devices. Rather frustrating. 
Thinking of maybe another, more expensive, doh, WiFi control option now. 

John 

Edited by Telescope40

52 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello @Cornelius Varley  My mount is an old version which won’t allow me to plug  into the mount body directly.  It has DB9 connector ??? Not the RJ option, as on the handset. 
Had to use the the handset cable where I did get a light coming on but no connection worked when trying my devices. Rather frustrating. 
Thinking of maybe another, more expensive, doh, WiFi control option now. 

John 

Your existing handset to mount cable can be used with the wifi dongle. The dongle will get its power from the mount. This is how its done with mounts that have a RJ45 socket on the mount.

From FLOs description

"Sky-Watcher's SynScan Wifi adapter enables all their Go-To mounts and telescopes to be operated wirelessy from a smartphone or tablet using the SynScan or SynScan Pro app or, from a PC via ASCOM.

Easily connects to the mount’s hand control port via one of the supplied RJ12 -> RJ45 or RJ45 -> RJ45 cables.

No batteries are required as the operating current is provided by the mount. (Please note the EQ6 PRO should be connected to the Wi-Fi Adaptor Module using the hand control cable originally supplied with the mount).

16 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Your existing handset to mount cable can be used with the wifi dongle. The dongle will get its power from the mount. This is how its done with mounts that have a RJ45 socket on the mount.

From FLOs description

"Sky-Watcher's SynScan Wifi adapter enables all their Go-To mounts and telescopes to be operated wirelessy from a smartphone or tablet using the SynScan or SynScan Pro app or, from a PC via ASCOM.

Easily connects to the mount’s hand control port via one of the supplied RJ12 -> RJ45 or RJ45 -> RJ45 cables.

No batteries are required as the operating current is provided by the mount. (Please note the EQ6 PRO should be connected to the Wi-Fi Adaptor Module using the hand control cable originally supplied with the mount).

Well it’s sounds like I was on the right track. 
@Grant ( does he work at FLO ?? ) has noted on the thread that the dongle was probably correct but needed a firmware update ??

I may give this another go in the New Year by getting a dongle from FLO and giving it another shot. 
My AZ GTI works well and I’ve even got skysafari to talk to it too.  Hope I can get my  NEQ6 to do the same. 
Appreciate everyone’s input as always 

John  

• 3 months later...

Hi Proto Star. I've just picked up on this thread as I'm having the same problem with a second hand dongle . I get the same type of address from mine. It's seen by my phone, tablet etc but won't connect through the synscan pro app. 

Did you resolve this by any chance? I know you sent the dongle back did you get another one? I'm asking as I've a NEQ6 Pro mount so it seems too coincidental!