NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from SW Scotland

I'm relatively new to this forum, having made just a couple of posts.  I read some Patrick Moore books in the late 1980's and was always fascinated by the Voyager probes (showing my age).  A friend recently bought a second hand 4.5 reflector - Meade 114 EQ1B, circa 2000'ish vintage.  We've done the moon thing and are looking forward to seeing the gas giants through the telescope. Getting a reasonable dark sky site that's fairly local isn't that easy, as we've found.

Hi there and welcome, I'm near Aberdeen. I'm a bit obsessive about dark sky conditions. If you haven't already, Google 'light pollution map' to get a better idea of what's available in your neck of the woods. I then usually look on Google Earth for a rural single track or car park for walkers (check walkhighlands website) for a place to set up. The Bortle scale (9-1, one being the darkest, nine basically any major urban centre) is a good indicator of light pollution. If you can get to Bortle 3 or 2 then you will realise most of your scopes potential, though there's lots to see under 4-5 as well if in a semi-rural area. Bortle 1 is a rare creature, though if you are SW Scotland then it's within a weekend trip, probably Mull or Inner Hebrides, Skye, etc. 

Loads of helpful people on here, I'm sure they can answer any questions.

Happy viewing!

• 3 weeks later...