Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 772

ollypenrice

This was done with SGL member Billy Harris. Indeed Billy did the lion's share of the capture work since I'm zapped by a revolting cough and cold at the moment.

We used the dual TEC140/Mesu200/Atik 460/Moravian 8300 rig over two nights and acquired 17.5 hours in LRGB. A test sub in Ha suggested that it wouldn't be worth chasing more.

It's a curious galaxy which has a contra-rotating jet visible in radio wavelengths and lots of tidal extensions indicating past interactions. It's fairly small on the sky so this is a crop presented at full size.

1181434084_NGC77217point5Hrs.thumb.jpg.cabfbe454727780f3c86f81a76c5b8e7.jpg

Olly and Billy.

• Like 19

Very nice and detailed, especially considering it's apparent size of only around 5 minutes. And excellent star size and colour (as can be expected from this source). And that TEC certainly works!  I must give this one a go with my C11- if our skies ever clear......

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Craney said:

Is that  'blue'  spiral arm a true feature... ie.   a massive region of young hot star formation ??

I think it is, yes. The arm seems to have been extended through gravitational effects and these would also disturb the interstellar gasses and trigger star formation so it all makes perfect sense. Other renditions show the blue arm as very dominant, in some cases more strikingly than in our data. I haven't done any differential processing to exaggerate it.

Olly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cfpendock said:

Very nice and detailed, especially considering it's apparent size of only around 5 minutes. And excellent star size and colour (as can be expected from this source). And that TEC certainly works!  I must give this one a go with my C11- if our skies ever clear......

Chris

Thanks, Chris. As usual with images featuring a galaxy in a starfield, I've combined two stretches above a common background sky, one a hard stretch for things fuzzy and one a soft stretch for the stars. Mercifully only a handful of stars are superimposed over the galaxy so I dealt with them individually.

Olly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

Thanks, Chris. As usual with images featuring a galaxy in a starfield, I've combined two stretches above a common background sky, one a hard stretch for things fuzzy and one a soft stretch for the stars. Mercifully only a handful of stars are superimposed over the galaxy so I dealt with them individually.

Olly

Yet another fantastic image 🙂 

I am supposed to be retiring next year I must book your Gite for some advice on all this, and some decent weather hopefully. Sounds like something I should to add to my list.

Steve

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Yet another fantastic image 🙂 

I am supposed to be retiring next year I must book your Gite for some advice on all this, and some decent weather hopefully. Sounds like something I should to add to my list.

Steve

I'd retire myself, but only in order to devote more time to running our gite... 🤣

:icon_mrgreen:lly

• Haha 1

Impressive Billy & Olly!

I once processed Liverpool Telescope data of that galaxy and there is indeed a lot of blue in the arms that may be young star formation. Your image from a 8.6 kg scope is not very far behind that from a 1.25 tonne mirror!

https://www.astrobin.com/294571/D/

Edited by gorann

Another very impressive small galaxy image, great colour and detail. NGC 772 is a new one on me, it will definitely be on my to do list when the ASI  178 goes on the Esprit.

How are you combining the data from the dual rig, is it with AstroArt?

12 hours ago, gorann said:

Impressive Billy & Olly!

I once processed Liverpool Telescope data of that galaxy and there is indeed a lot of blue in the arms that may be young star formation. Your image from a 8.6 kg scope is not very far behind that from a 1.25 tonne mirror!

https://www.astrobin.com/294571/D/

We saw and admired your image from the Liverpool Teescope, Goran. It's one of the best out there. 👋

9 hours ago, tomato said:

Another very impressive small galaxy image, great colour and detail. NGC 772 is a new one on me, it will definitely be on my to do list when the ASI  178 goes on the Esprit.

How are you combining the data from the dual rig, is it with AstroArt?

No, we do it in Registar, making it a two-click operation and infallible in precision. One click aligns the RGB (which is from a larger chip) onto the luminance and a second 'crops and pads' the colour to fit the L. Thereafter they work together as Layers in Photoshop without any further intervention.

Recently I've been giving my RGB a hefty dose of noise reduction (from Noel's Actions) which I've found provides a short cut to getting more intense colour with less messing about.

Olly

• Like 2

Excellent job as always Olly, loverly detail and star colours plus nice smooth background.

As you know I recently purchased both an Atik 460 and 383L so I have the same 2 sensors you are using though I dont have matching scopes,  ive now tested both a produced images im very happy with. So I definitely want to capture with both at the same time wether they will combine well or not, it still makes sense to be capturing with both or I feel its a wasted opportunity. Maybe later I will end up with matching pair of scopes, but that won't be any time soon as im now skint LOL

I have a Meade 127mm F7.5 with 950mm FL which I also have a 0.6 x reducer ( this provided flat field with previous 314 chip fine & may just cover the 460).  and a Altair 102 F7 with 714mm FL, which I also have the dedicated matched 0.79x reducer  flattener which brings it to 564mm FL and perfectly flat for the bigger 8300 chip.

I have 2 matching 5 pos filter wheels with RGB+HaOiii in one and HaSiiOiii +CLS as Lum in the other

Im currently thinking to put the 460 on the bigger scope at 950mm and the 383 on the smaller scope at 564mm, as I want to get as big a field as I can with the 8300 chip. as I can then image smaller targets in the big scope and wider ones in the other, but that will give a massive mismatch in FOV and pixel sampling so in that case id probably just grab separate data for each scope, and end up with 2 different FOV's of same target.

The other alternative is to try the 0.6 reducer on the big scope which makes it 570mm so almost identical focal lengths for both scopes, though will still be smaller field of view due to the 460 having smaller sensor. with you r image do you just crop the wider data to match the smaller sensor?

HHHEEELLLPPPP too many choices, but surely that can't be a bad thing 😛  Id really value your opinion on this Olly.

Cheers, Lee

Edited by Magnum

19 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Excellent job as always Olly, loverly detail and star colours plus nice smooth background.

As you know I recently purchased both an Atik 460 and 383L so I have the same 2 sensors you are using though I dont have matching scopes,  ive now tested both a produced images im very happy with. So I definitely want to capture with both at the same time wether they will combine well or not, it still makes sense to be capturing with both or I feel its a wasted opportunity. Maybe later I will end up with matching pair of scopes, but that won't be any time soon as im now skint LOL

I have a Meade 127mm F7.5 with 950mm FL which I also have a 0.6 x reducer ( this provided flat field with previous 314 chip fine & may just cover the 460).  and a Altair 102 F7 with 714mm FL, which I also have the dedicated matched 0.79x reducer  flattener which brings it to 564mm FL and perfectly flat for the bigger 8300 chip.

I have 2 matching 5 pos filter wheels with RGB+HaOiii in one and HaSiiOiii +CLS as Lum in the other

Im currently thinking to put the 460 on the bigger scope at 950mm and the 383 on the smaller scope at 564mm, as I want to get as big a field as I can with the 8300 chip. as I can then image smaller targets in the big scope and wider ones in the other, but that will give a massive mismatch in FOV and pixel sampling so in that case id probably just grab separate data for each scope, and end up with 2 different FOV's of same target.

The other alternative is to try the 0.6 reducer on the big scope which makes it 570mm so almost identical focal lengths for both scopes, though will still be smaller field of view due to the 460 having smaller sensor. with you r image do you just crop the wider data to match the smaller sensor?

HHHEEELLLPPPP too many choices, but surely that can't be a bad thing 😛  Id really value your opinion on this Olly.

Cheers, Lee

Greetings, Lee. In our case we simply crop the 8300 sensor's output to match the 460. Sure, that's a bit of a waste but we get the benefit of higher resolution from the 460. (So we shoot L in that and RGB in the 8300.)

In your case you'll be making compromises, inevitably, as well. A complicating factor (sorry!!!) will be the optical performance of the scopes. I think the colour correction of the Altair will beat that of the Meade so, where appropriate, it would make sense to shoot narrowband in the Meade.

The loss of FOV doesn't cramp our style, really. At these resolutions there are so many small targets out there that finding ones to fit isn't very difficult.

Olly

11 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Greetings, Lee. In our case we simply crop the 8300 sensor's output to match the 460. Sure, that's a bit of a waste but we get the benefit of higher resolution from the 460. (So we shoot L in that and RGB in the 8300.)

In your case you'll be making compromises, inevitably, as well. A complicating factor (sorry!!!) will be the optical performance of the scopes. I think the colour correction of the Altair will beat that of the Meade so, where appropriate, it would make sense to shoot narrowband in the Meade.

The loss of FOV doesn't cramp our style, really. At these resolutions there are so many small targets out there that finding ones to fit isn't very difficult.

Olly

Thanks Olly, I forgot to say for nebulas I only shoot in Bi Colour ha/oiii which is 75% of the time so colour correction not so important, only use LRGB for galaxies the other 25%.

To complicate things even further, for really wide field I will need to use my 70mm F6 ED which will have to be swapped with one of the bigger scopes , as I dont think My poor old EQ6 will like 3 scopes on at the same time 😛 so many choices

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 1