SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

a "Wow" moment

Ok, this post is not for the real scientists but for all of us others who just marvel at what goes on up there.

I read a few days ago that every second the sun burns 4 million tons of Hydrogen. Anyway, whilst siting on the train today on the way to work I realised just how much that is and thought WOW!

How big is 4 million tons?

well it's roughly 4 million Toyota Hiluxes!!! :thumbright: or 41 of the RN's planned aircraft carriers!! :shock: or 10,000 fully loaded 747s!! :shock: :shock:

and how long is it going to keep doing that for?

about 5 billion more years or so. :D

so how much hydrogen has it got in there?

about 1576800000000000000000 fully loaded 747's worth!!! (that figure might be wrong (it's a lot of zeros to count off the calculator!) so lets just call it a bzillion!!!) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow!!!

Sam

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets hope we don't get a GRB close enough to blow it out.

On second thoughts, it wouldn't matter, we'd all be dead before we froze to death.

Ron. :)

Ron, I'm hoping we'll get around 5 billion years out it. :D:hello2:

Lets hope we don't get a GRB close enough to blow it out.

On second thoughts, it wouldn't matter, we'd all be dead before we froze to death.

Ron. :)

Ron, I'm hoping we'll get around 5 billion years out it. :D:hello2:

Well, there is a saying that we will all have to keep coming back till we get it right, so that could mean a few thousand more lifetimes. We might then have earned the right to visit stars for a new home.

Crazy thought time. :laughing2:

Ron.

Apparently, even Betelgeuse will just put on a nice light show for us when it goes SN. Wish it would hurry up, I'd like to see that.

With you all the way on that !!!

OI ! get a move on !!!! :):grin::D :D

Probably happen sometime between late April and August :D:hello2:

It would make Orion even more interesting. If our red friend blew.

I came across an interesting thought out of an old Arthur Clarke (as he was then) book. They had a supernova and it was pointed out that if there was alien life out there Astronomers on other worlds would be watching it as we would. And, in a few million years Astronomers in other galaxyswould see it too. This sort of short happening (as in the brightening bit) being the one thing that would be seen by possibly millions of alien races across the Universe that we will never know exist - and yet we share this sight with them.

Fly south ?

I don't want to start a debate but they aren't on a flat plain.

I would love to see Betelgeuse go bang!!

As Patrick Moor said last time I talked to him about it,

It will be worth staying up for. :D

It would rather spoil the look of Orion, but maybe we could get a nice planetary nebula out of it.

Beteleuse going bang will not, I think, result in a nice planetary. Little stars produce those - or so we are led to understand. However, in a few thousand years you might expect to see a replacement for the Veil Nebula which might be getting a bit tenuous by then...

When I did UCLAN's intro to astronomy course one of the things they got you to do near the beginning was to calculate by how many times the observable universe was bigger than the nucleus of a hydrogen atom. It really was quite a lot bigger if I remember rightly...

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

Archived