SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first attempt at astrophotography

Tony1967

You've captured stars down to Magnitude 15, which is pretty good, and it seems quite close to focus as there are diffraction spikes on Phi Per (the brightest star).  When stretched there's some nice colour in the stars, as well. Here's a quick stretch to show:

IMG_0368.jpg.6f55d7aa941dea3bb1e38c6b65f6e251.jpg

any help  and advice  is much  appreciated. 

Good start, you have the camera working.  First bit of simple advice is for focus.  Get or make yourself a Bahtinov mask, it's a simple and easy way to know when you are in focus.  Your image above looks as though it's probably in focus, but why not be absolutely certain, and it's a simple way to know. 

Carole 

Thanks ,  I've ordered  a bahtinov  mask and waiting  for my pier to arrive  learning  one thing at a time at the moment . it's great to hear off others that my first photographs are good. I've made some progress since I first set the scope up and  tried  to take some photos 

• Like 1

You're off to a good start. 

I sympathize with your apprehension towards learning various post production tools on a computer. To get the full benefit of your labours behind the camera/telescope, you will unfortuantely have to spend a great deal of time in front of your computer. But you can get a long way by just running your pics through the 'default' settings of a stacking program. Such as Deep Sky Stacker. Just by doing that, you get very presentable results.

I think I spent all of 7 mins on my first stack of 10 pictures and was delighted with the result. Even with that minor effort, it made a huge difference.