Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

We should not give up because its low

alan potts

I know this is never going to win any prizes and at the moment I am only playing getting use to my new mount and 183MC camera, not as if I used the 071 Pro very much, so that hardly old and for the bin yet. This shot of M16 was started when it was at 23 degrees above the horizon and finished at a shade above 15 degrees, this is about an hour of 3 minute subs and all the other bits. I am really rather surprised with the result as it is usable if not great and added to could well improve it even this low down.  Every frame used

456912501_EagleTiff183Mc.thumb.jpg.3dc26929250bc761cd5aaeb507b13649.jpg

Considering where it was in the sky the guide from the CEM60 is not too bad either. Didn't look pretty though.

Had another play with it and got a bit more out of it I feel.

1984277619_M16183MC.thumb.jpg.90431830c933a8122a7dcb07dcc572d4.jpg

Alan

• Like 17

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Lovely image of the Eagle Alan, well done, a great result.

While the Moon is about like it is now I am just getting to know the gear again, seems funny but with the old Canon I never really thought twice, the other night I even forgot cooling.

Alan

8 minutes ago, Craney said:

I agree with Adam,  the Pillars have come out really well.

Sadly it is way past its best here, I did it much longer back in July and Aug when it actually gets about 35 degrees, luxury.

This was about 3 hours or so with the 40D and wrong way round, Feel I could hold the centre back if I did it again.

1607328657_M1621_08.thumb.jpg.43447484086d14a8c04620e475339172.jpg

Alan

• Like 2

These are really nice images. I prefer the recent one - more moody! I tried the eagle for the first time a few weeks ago and want to try again with my newly modded EOS1100d but I thinks it way too low for me now. And dipping into a distant light dome. Theres always next year.@

• Like 1

7 hours ago, assouptro said:

Great start with the new mount.

How do you like it so far? I have been following your progress with interest. 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan

I am pleased with the mount though I have found it a little hard to set the clutches just right, very much a hit and miss affair from what I see. If they are not just so you tend to get a horrible noise and slip, harmless by all accounts but annoying.

Guiding in general with the exact same scope and guide camera is better but maybe not as good as I thought it may be, one member suggested go for a OAG to nail the guiding, I do have one. It is true I have jumped around the sky a fair bit  and imaging low down I don't see it as any better than than AZ EQ 6 was. However higher in the sky last night I was down to 0.22 Sec in DEC and 0.30 in RA, for long periods too, it only came off the rails a bit with very high passing con trails, even then it only dropped to about .7 sec and mainly in RA. Sometimes the AZ wasn't any better than that all night.

I have resisted touching too much as I tend to create my own problems. My next step it to include on the mount a duel rig with either a 70mmED or the 77ED ll Borg that I have as well as the bigger APO. either one was intended to carry the 183MC as camera. On a different matter I am still struggling a little with exact focus using APT though I tend to get reasonable results taking my time, I also feel the i5 laptop could be better as it seems to lock up from time to time. Maybe it's time to get a proper desk top in there with bigger RAM and faster processor.

Alan

Too low here too.   May give it a go next year but not sure I can improve on my image from a few years ago.  That latest image is lovely :thumbsup:  The earlier one is nice too but I agree that the center is a bit overblown.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gina said:

Too low here too.   May give it a go next year but not sure I can improve on my image from a few years ago.  That latest image is lovely :thumbsup:  The earlier one is nice too but I agree that the center is a bit overblown.

Gina, yes the centre is burnt out really, I may have another go at it as I still have the data, I actually just improved the one from the other night getting that hazy layer out of it, I need to get some better Grad tools too, I tend to make my own in PS but they don't seem to work so well now. I feel it is also me needing to get more use to processing data from the 071 and 183, the old Canon seemed so easy.

Alan