SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A tweak for 891.

ollypenrice

I was aware of something wrong with the Mk1 version of this image and, indeed, my previous 891 renditions: somewhere along the line I seem to damage the little dark threads rising from around the core roughly at right angles to the plane of the disk.  I parked this problem in my copious To Do bin and would have ignored it but from an email from Laurin Dave pointing it out. This gave me the guilts so I pulled my socks up and reworked the core of the luminance. Dave then suggested dropping the saturation to improve the little threads some more. Another excellent critique, which helped. Thanks, Dave. The little filaments now connect with the core.41606101_GGC891TEC140WEB.thumb.jpg.8db9bc0b609e43fd2e50113748db55e4.jpg

Olly

• Like 17

I hope I’m not contravening any copyright by doing this, but take a look at this image by the great Rob Hodgkinson, the filaments are beautifully displayed. I think the RC is still up for sale, I would love to own it, but blew my retirement scope budget on an Esprit 150, thanks to my take on the big reflector vs big refractor debate for imaging small galaxies...

9 hours ago, tomato said:

I hope I’m not contravening any copyright by doing this, but take a look at this image by the great Rob Hodgkinson, the filaments are beautifully displayed. I think the RC is still up for sale, I would love to own it, but blew my retirement scope budget on an Esprit 150, thanks to my take on the big reflector vs big refractor debate for imaging small galaxies...

I entirely agree about the quality of Rob's imaging and with this image in particular. He's gone for a more contrasty curve than I did in the stretch, making the dust lane and filaments much darker. This is something I could do with our data as well but I'm going through a period of conservative stretching at the moment! I felt my images were developing a hard look so I'm trying to keep things softer. Maybe I overdid it this time.

There's a close double in the right hand end of the galaxy which gives another interesting point of comparison between large refractor and larger reflector.

I suspect we miss Rob more than any other retired imager. I certainly do.

Olly